Notices
East Coast If you live in the Mid-Atlantic area (Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, DC, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Long Island, NY

Old 03-03-2010, 05:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pgaups
Off Road Evolution Front Coilovers King Front Bump Stops EVO Sway Bar Links and Rear King Reservoir Shocks.
Thanks Guys at Off Road Evolution
OH MY

you need to wheel this thing!!!!! SOON

Last edited by BBirish; 03-03-2010 at 05:08 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Suffolk JK
pgaups going to have Evan install them for you?
My Jk's actually sleeping at Evan's right now!
Old 03-04-2010, 06:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sethc84
My Jk's actually sleeping at Evan's right now!
what are you having installed?
Old 03-04-2010, 09:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Drew did I see you today? Around 12PM on CR83, you were heading south I was going north.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:22 AM
JK Newbie

I am having evo front coilovers installed with king front bump stops and in the rear king reservoir shocks. Sammy's in Hicksville is installing it. I talked to Evan and he sounds like a great guy and really no's his stuff. Sammy installed my gears and ARB front air locker and did a great job. I just felt I owed it to him to stay loyal. Plus he is 2 miles from my house.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:46 PM
JK Junkie

Seth, I passed by Evan's today...that was DEFINITELY a defect from Jeep at the assembly line. The weld didn't have a stress crack in it, it completely sheared off at the mount. The weld was completely still attached to the bracket. There was no penetration on that weld for some reason. I've had my TF drop bracket on for 35k now and wheeled the piss out of it in that 35k, no issues thusfar.

On a lighter note, the Currie trackbar reinforcement does look sexy! Beefy. With Evan's welds, that thing isn't going anywhere. Nice SS too...though I would definitely turn it around so the schraeder valve doesn't tear off again. Clock it so it won't be a hassle in the long run, even if it does hide the logo

On a disappointed note, TF should have done a lot better R&D on the gussets. Their spring doesn't taper down like the OEM spring does. The spring stays uniform all the way down and takes a huge space on the perch. They designed the gusset to fit OEM springs. Having to notch the gusset to make it work on a TF setup is not good thinking on TF's part. But, it does work and will help your Cs. Even if you went to EVOs, that would've been an issue. Now that I have seen the TF spring up close, I can't even go that route since I have the EVOs on and takes up even more space that the TF gussets.

Helped Evan disassemble and reassemble the YJ's rear that was there. Lunchbox was no good 2 weeks ago, Detroit went in. Can't wait to get my Detroits in.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Suffolk JK
Seth, I passed by Evan's today...that was DEFINITELY a defect from Jeep at the assembly line. The weld didn't have a stress crack in it, it completely sheared off at the mount. The weld was completely still attached to the bracket. There was no penetration on that weld for some reason. I've had my TF drop bracket on for 35k now and wheeled the piss out of it in that 35k, no issues thusfar.

On a lighter note, the Currie trackbar reinforcement does look sexy! Beefy. With Evan's welds, that thing isn't going anywhere. Nice SS too...though I would definitely turn it around so the schraeder valve doesn't tear off again. Clock it so it won't be a hassle in the long run, even if it does hide the logo

On a disappointed note, TF should have done a lot better R&D on the gussets. Their spring doesn't taper down like the OEM spring does. The spring stays uniform all the way down and takes a huge space on the perch. They designed the gusset to fit OEM springs. Having to notch the gusset to make it work on a TF setup is not good thinking on TF's part. But, it does work and will help your Cs. Even if you went to EVOs, that would've been an issue. Now that I have seen the TF spring up close, I can't even go that route since I have the EVOs on and takes up even more space that the TF gussets.

Helped Evan disassemble and reassemble the YJ's rear that was there. Lunchbox was no good 2 weeks ago, Detroit went in. Can't wait to get my Detroits in.

I wasn't sure about the defective weld but I'm sure I would have gotten a song and a dance from the dealership and who know what retard they would have had weld it. The new axle end support is actually a JKS product and I am very happy with its extra support and it does look sweet.
For the s/s, I will probably end up turning it even though it flips the decal. Guess I'm a bit of a label whore.
The TF knuckles did also come out nice, wonder why TF didn't engineer them better.
Maybe you should do a coilover, those things are so skinny they would never hit the gussets.

I'm not such a fan of that YJ for a number of reasons.
1) Automatic Tranny
2) Cheap Sheet Metal (Joop Fenders)
3) Chevy Drivetrain
4) Its a YJ

When are you doing lockers. I want to do gears and lockers soon. Maybe after the summer. I've heard a lot of guys like to run an arb air locker in the rear and the Detroit locker in the front (or the other way around).
Old 03-05-2010, 02:57 AM
JK Junkie

Ah yes, JKS my fault.

The YJ does look stupid with those fenders. Once he comes out to play with us, they WILL get ripped off. I take it you're a Ford man not liking the Chevy drivetrain and motor?

I'm getting Detroits front and rear. Many people do a selectable up front (e-locker or ARB) and a Detroit in the rear. IMO, the ones that say you can't drive on the street with Detroits just can't drive nice and easy. We're not in the mountains, when it snows here, it's mainly flat land and highways. On mountain roads where there's a 25k' drop-off, I'd understand. The Detroit unlocks, most people say it's fully locked all the time. It's not. When not under a load, it does spring open to allow one wheel to turn at a different speed. Only thing you have to remember is not power through a turn otherwise it will lock and start barking tires around a corne. I don't have to worry about it failing on me. I have yet to see a Detroit fail but have seen about a dozen ARBs fail (fail means doesn't work when you need it to, not the ARB unit destroying itself). Bad solenoid, cut air line, blah blah blah. I want to put it in 4L and know I'm already locked. Plus, being locked in 2WD as well.

When the YJ was up in the air, I held one of it's rear tires and spun the other. You can hear it unlock. Once I let go of that tire, you can hear it lock and both start moving in the same direction.

Within the next few months I'm aiming for. Going 4.88s and Detroits. I'll be in the shop all weekend when that happens helping Evan.
Old 03-05-2010, 03:16 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a powerTrax lunchbox locker in the rear of my KJ. it was fine on the street as long as you don't give it too much gas in the turns like u said. but I will say, there were times that was annoying to worry about, mainly pulling out into traffic, usually right turns out of a parking lot or side street. it was really nice getting away from that setup when I got the KJ.

(but it did work extremely well off road!)
Old 03-05-2010, 03:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Dimitri thats gonna be an awesome set up.

Also what did you use to cut your fenders? From searching I found that a dremel seems to be the weapon of choice. My Jeep will be undergoing surgery soon

Quick Reply: Long Island, NY