Notices
East Coast If you live in the Mid-Atlantic area (Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, DC, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Long Island, NY

Old 02-05-2010, 09:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, and brendan i did use the fancy dipstick but I was under the impression the fluid should come to the middle of the axle.

And the reason I ask about the tie-rod is because it just seemed to move way too easily and the boot on the pass side ball joint started to rip. Stupid stick on weights rubbed the boot a little bit.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:00 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

last fluid change I carefully measured (ie, with measuring cups) how much I put in. I could not get in the required amount in the rear with a stock cover. Not even close. On the front wiht my Riddler cover, I put in the exact amount and it came out the breathers. go figure!
Old 02-05-2010, 10:45 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Sethc84
Hey guys, I did my front diff cover last night and one again get mixed feedback on how much oil to use. I have the dana 30 up front and I used an ARB cover.
Brendan said he put in 1 quart and it came back out the breather. I put in a quart and nothing spit out. Furthermore, the forum write-up says in takes 1.35 quarts. I don't want to put too little in.
What do you guys recommend?

****ALSO,
Should my tie-rod flip back and forth VERY easily?
I installed a teraflex cover on my D30 and filled it till oil ran out. It took a little less than a quart. No problems as of yet but every aftermarket cover is probably a little different.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:16 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Top of the small bolts where the axle tubes plug into the pumpkin. Aftermarket covers are a pain to deal with when doing diff fluid changes..

Also, I'm sitting at Mavis, getting my tires re-balanced and gettig rid of the TPMS sensors (one is bent) and I don't want to spend $44 on a replacement to break it on my next trip.

Lastly. I'm doing the rebalance to try and get rid of a slight shimmy in the wheel after hitting bumps. It might be the early stages of death wobble.

Matthfd, get better soon.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

You think it could be loose steering? Hopefully the balancing can fix it.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:22 AM
JK Junkie

It popped up the day I removed the control arms. I sure the lack of castor is a big factor. I was talking to Dave from AEV, He recommended I get the tires balanced and go from there. I know they aren't balanced too well currently. I knock off weights with every trip I go on. This time I'm going to take pictures of the wheels so I know if I lose any
Old 02-05-2010, 11:23 AM
JK Junkie

Sorry bout the grammar I'm on my phone
Old 02-05-2010, 12:49 PM
JK Freak

finally got home today, pulled in the drive way, nd my jeep wasnt there. TOTALLY forgot that i had drove it and left it at the firehouse! anyway, while i was in the hospital, my 13" off road radio antenna came in the mail. havent even picked up my JK, let alone installed the antenna, but heres what it looks like on a white 4dr.

Old 02-05-2010, 01:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Joe, I was thinking of rebalancing but actually going with hammer on weights. No more falling off. I'm only considering this as long as none need to be put on the outside.
Or those beads you put inside seem like a cool idea and they supposedly adjust to always keep wheels balanced.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Matt glad to hear your home.

Maybe the cold is effecting all of our jeeps lol mines driving terribly too haha

Quick Reply: Long Island, NY