Notices
East Coast If you live in the Mid-Atlantic area (Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, DC, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Long Island, NY

Old 01-06-2010, 04:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by savidon
I have a 9 yo daughter and 12 yo son ... we are at Stillwell quite often .. for soccer, lacrosse, baseball .. cross country.. whatever ... I'm always hauling them around for sports.

We've been riding at Bethpage a lot last summer, but haven't been to Stillwell for mountain biking in yrs, but planning on doing it with the kids this spring.
Isn't Stillwell a little technical for young children? I mountain bike in there a couple times a year and I don't know if a child could really run bike that course.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:24 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Sethc84
Isn't Stillwell a little technical for young children? I mountain bike in there a couple times a year and I don't know if a child could really run bike that course.
I haven't been there in a while, but I thought that there was an easier loop in there too ... isn't there? I figured my 12 yo could prob handle it. He actually ran cross-country in there this past fall for middle school. I'll have to go check it out before I bring them. Bethpage is great though .... the path down to Massapequa is nice and you can go off the path in spots too. Thanks.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:11 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by savidon
I haven't been there in a while, but I thought that there was an easier loop in there too ... isn't there? I figured my 12 yo could prob handle it. He actually ran cross-country in there this past fall for middle school. I'll have to go check it out before I bring them. Bethpage is great though .... the path down to Massapequa is nice and you can go off the path in spots too. Thanks.
yes, there's an easy loop that my 5 yr old did well on with his 16'' BMX bike. they love it cause of the mud. I learned to bring extra clothes and let them get dirtly!

the intermediate trails were ok for my 9 yr old but my 5 yr old who demanded to try it had a tough time. he fell hard twice, but got up, brushed off & said: ''it happens.'' although, he's definitely more cautious now!

the Bethpage path is great for distance. the dirt paths on the side are fun for my kids too, but the signs say they are for walking only. I let them go in but tell them to be sure to yield to any pedestrians they come across.

let's all go one day... a WARM day!!!!
Old 01-06-2010, 09:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

There is also a black diamond at the beginning which has some obstacles and is a lot of fun.
You say your son (Adam) used a BMX to ride the trails? That is insane, I have a hard enough time with a 21 speed. Kids have soooo much energy.

Otherwise the Brown Truck showed up with a lot of goodies today. Anyone have a warm garage for me to work in?
Attachment 34977
Old 01-06-2010, 09:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Matt666
Hey guys figured Ide throw it out there, but im parting ways with my hard top (4dr). If anyone needs or wants one make me a offer. Im looking to get rid of it its only costing me $$ right now being in storage.
Hey Matt,

How Long was the top in storage?
Mathematically speaking, if that top is stored for (x) amount of months at (y) dollars per month and, if [(x)(y)= more than new hardtop] Then you could end up wasting a lot of money.
I'm not trying to be an ass (I know it may come off that way, sorry) but if you store anything for too long it would have actually made more sense to throw it away and re buy it when you want it.
So many storage places keep opening and I just wonder why people use those places as long term solutions. I can understand in a transition or even for short term in the borough's where space is limited but, jeez if you don't have a use for something and have no room to store it at home (or for free) than get rid of it.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:28 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea... so I'm thinking I want a Long Arm kit for my JK... anybody wanna buy some Currie Front Adjustable Lower Control Arms??? they were $320.00 2 months ago.. Id like to see if I can get $250.. and they will be available as soon as anyone wants them. Ill run the stockers until I get the LA kit. also, they are adjusted for 3" of lift and worked awesome when I had he 2.5" BB and still work awesome with my current 3.5" steup (basically all you need to do is bolt them on and your good to go)
Old 01-06-2010, 12:30 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sethc84
There is also a black diamond at the beginning which has some obstacles and is a lot of fun.
You say your son (Adam) used a BMX to ride the trails? That is insane, I have a hard enough time with a 21 speed. Kids have soooo much energy.

Otherwise the Brown Truck showed up with a lot of goodies today. Anyone have a warm garage for me to work in?
Attachment 34977
wow Seth.. Bilsteins.. 5100?? I have them and love them......
Old 01-06-2010, 12:56 PM
Raf
JK Enthusiast

Welcome to the forum Seth
Old 01-06-2010, 01:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Damn joe you just put that AEV lift on, long arm! You're not messin around anymore huh!! What's next coilovers?
Old 01-06-2010, 01:31 PM
JK Junkie

Joe, I'm interested in the arms.

Brendan, what caused the driveshafts to fail? Was he wheelin' when it failed or did it fail on the street? Any bangs or scrapes before it failed?

I think I MIGHT be going Tom Woods. I have a $200 gift certificate from them (won them at LIOR's Christmas party).

Speed sensors finally came in. Pretty cheap. $55 shipped for all 4. Crown ball joints coming in a few days.

Quick Reply: Long Island, NY