Notices
East Coast If you live in the Mid-Atlantic area (Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, DC, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Long Island, NY

Old 01-03-2010, 03:03 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Note to all:

Don't wheel on a Sunday, especially a snow/ice run, in 15* weather, with snow, and 40 MPH winds.

Damage report:

Twisted the front driveshaft like a pretzel. Came down on a ice ledge, kinked it, the proceeded to mimic Auntie Anne's Pretzel making with it. Pics to come...

Broke the ears and u-joint off passenger side axle shaft. Twisted the splines so it was a PITA to remove. Pics to come...

Lost a cotter pin and washer for the swaybar link. Drove without the front saybar attached. Being that I have no rear swaybar, what a wild ride home with all the wind.

Passenger side ball joints are shot. With that being loose now, a little death wobble on the way home. Very light, but still there. At least I'm on my first pair of ball joints at 37k.

And pulling off my exit and around my streets I'm hearing a whining sound, gets louder as I accelerate and less as I decelerate. Sounds like a bearing is shot, lost fluid, something...need to find out what it is.

Note to self:

Tire spinning on frozen over streams then breaking through will get you into trouble. Once you break one thing, turn around and go home, do not proceed, do not pass GO, do not collect $200.

Note to all:

Carry spare parts, you NEVER know what's going to happen.
Old 01-03-2010, 03:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Wow Dimitri that is a terrible trip report

We will need to see pics, this is why I hate wheeling in ice
Old 01-03-2010, 03:48 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so it was a good day..

Lol. Sorry to hear abou all the damage. I also was never a fan of wheeling on ice. But I always pictured sliding into a tree or off a ledge

Originally Posted by Suffolk JK
Note to all:

Don't wheel on a Sunday, especially a snow/ice run, in 15* weather, with snow, and 40 MPH winds.

Damage report:

Twisted the front driveshaft like a pretzel. Came down on a ice ledge, kinked it, the proceeded to mimic Auntie Anne's Pretzel making with it. Pics to come...

Broke the ears and u-joint off passenger side axle shaft. Twisted the splines so it was a PITA to remove. Pics to come...

Lost a cotter pin and washer for the swaybar link. Drove without the front saybar attached. Being that I have no rear swaybar, what a wild ride home with all the wind.

Passenger side ball joints are shot. With that being loose now, a little death wobble on the way home. Very light, but still there. At least I'm on my first pair of ball joints at 37k.

And pulling off my exit and around my streets I'm hearing a whining sound, gets louder as I accelerate and less as I decelerate. Sounds like a bearing is shot, lost fluid, something...need to find out what it is.

Note to self:

Tire spinning on frozen over streams then breaking through will get you into trouble. Once you break one thing, turn around and go home, do not proceed, do not pass GO, do not collect $200.

Note to all:

Carry spare parts, you NEVER know what's going to happen.
Old 01-03-2010, 04:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Man Dimitri, you go hard.
Good luck with the repairs, post some pics.
Old 01-03-2010, 06:26 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ooph! that's not a good day! I must admit I LOL when I got to the part about your driving home without any swaybars in the wind! Partly cause I know how my JK was all over the LIE today. You must have been white knucked the whole way!
Old 01-03-2010, 06:41 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Viper, are you Barry? Friends with Allie's brother (Mike?)
Old 01-03-2010, 10:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

As in Allie Brauner and Mike Brauner? Then yes I'm there friends. Also sorry to hear about your damages Suffolk, hope the fixing is swift and not to costly.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:18 PM
JK Junkie

Here are the pics from yesterday's fun:

As you can see, my artistic pretzel making skills. Took about 5 minutes of banging on the leftover ears to get the shaft out since the splines twisted.

I just pulled the fill plug on the front diff and there is fluid in there, topped off. So, there is no loss in fluid for the whinning. Need to check the unit bearing. I'm going to just rip the whole front end apart with Evan and make sure all the steering is setup straight, all is torqued down, need to press the ball joints in, I need to get a new steering stabilizer since mine took a shit too. Man, what a Sunday!

Thank goodness I carry axle shafts and driveshafts otherwise it would've been a nightmare getting home.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:22 PM
JK Junkie

On a cheerful note, I saw this on Saturday at the Stadium 12 theatre in Westbury. What in the name of God's green earth is this:

Looks like it had rock rails, it looks like a damn EVO stubby, but not, but why mount the spare on it?!?!? It literally had a hub and the lugnuts through it as a carrier would have.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:29 PM
JK Junkie

This is what it looked like. NOTHING but snow and ice, LOTS of uphills and downhills. We all played slip and slide down the hills forward and backward and a little sideways NUMEROUS times. We all puckered up the entire day. I wasn't the only break, Mark (Evan's dad) broke his rear shaft. Evan said this place was notorious for shaft breaking. Guess he was literal...

We were ALL hanging onto our cages handles the entire trip. Pics never give justice, it was simply insane.

Quick Reply: Long Island, NY