Notices
East Coast If you live in the Mid-Atlantic area (Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, DC, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Long Island, NY

Old 11-28-2009, 03:03 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Getting the mud off was a bit tedious. Most of it off anyways. Detailed...never that. Not once since new.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:13 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

nice pics. looks & sounds like u all had a good time! glad to hear it even if I am jealous. looked cold in the pics.

a few thoughts:
I have Riddler solid front cover.
I have a Warn guard in the on rear but it weaps oil so I may replace it with a solid one.

one comment on the video: standing WAY TOO close to that line & nothing on the line in case it snaps or comes off!

I love the group pics!
Old 11-29-2009, 07:06 AM
JK Junkie

I was the one on the end of the line, behind 2 trees as it was pulling.

Out of the hundreds of winch pulls I have seen and been apart of, not once has it ever snapped or come off, even with aged winches and lines. As long as all connections are still solid, there's no fraying of even a single strand, the line doesn't exceed maximum pull, nothing will happen.

I'm a fan of synthetic lines, I run one, but sometimes the hype is a bit much.

On a side note, that winch doesn't sound healthy as it was pulling under load.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:51 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Suffolk JK
Out of the hundreds of winch pulls I have seen and been apart of, not once has it ever snapped or come off, even with aged winches and lines. As long as all connections are still solid, there's no fraying of even a single strand, the line doesn't exceed maximum pull, nothing will happen.

I'm a fan of synthetic lines, I run one, but sometimes the hype is a bit much.
I also have never seen a line break in person, but man, the down side of it happening is really bad! Have you seen those pics on line? Plus, I'm usually on the trail with my two young sons. I won't even type out that worst case scenario!

Also, if I had to bet, I'd say you have a better chance of someone's modified attachment point (ie, bumper, hook, D ring) coming off or breaking as opposed to the actual line letting go. That's what a lot of those pictures on line are of: shackles letting go and snapping back at the winching vehicle!
Old 11-29-2009, 08:08 AM
JK Junkie

That's why, when using a steel cable, I ALWAYS prop the hood up. I know it's a tad annoying, and sometimes hard to get to, but it will save the line from going through the window.

I do understand where you're coming from with having your 2 sons on the trail. Got to keep them safe.

Another reason why I like factory stuff. I trust my factory JK tow points than one that came on a bumper. I trust a snatch block from ARB or Superwinch before another company. I only use ARB or Crosby d-rings, not ones from Home Depot. My tree savers are TeraFlex. I won't cheap out on stuff like that, for the sole fact, more prone to failure.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:11 AM
JK Super Freak

yea i tried to stand back a little there was really no where to go it was a steep hill, me and dimiti set up the strap around the tree down at the bottom of the hill, that winch was also brand new i think that was its first pull ever.

my jeep is still filthy, im off to bubble up today to power wash it
Old 11-29-2009, 08:35 AM
JK Junkie

That's why, when using a steel cable, I ALWAYS prop the hood up. I know it's a tad annoying, and sometimes hard to get to, but it will save the line from going through the window.

I do understand where you're coming from with having your 2 sons on the trail. Got to keep them safe.

Another reason why I like factory stuff. I trust my factory JK tow points than one that came on a bumper. I trust a snatch block from ARB or Superwinch before another company. I only use ARB or Crosby d-rings, not ones from Home Depot. My tree savers are TeraFlex. I won't cheap out on stuff like that, for the sole fact, more prone to failure.
Interesting idea about the hood. I'll keep that in mind.

And my next big purchase is a winch and gear. I'll keep that all in mind.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:49 AM
JK Junkie

IMO, get the ARB bag with recovery kit. $265. Snatch block, 2 rings, tree saver, snatch strap, and the bag. Good price. I need to add more to my recovery since I only have one strap, one block and one tree saver plus 3 rings. I'm getting that kit as well. I need 2 tree savers and 2 snatch blocks. I've been known to get into a situation where multiple points are needed for recovery to get a straight line pull into the winch.

It's good to have 2 blocks and 2 straps...you never know.

As for the hood, it's common practice in the club, but of course if you're pulling someone, not pulling yourself. Can't see shit if the hood is up.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:24 AM
JK Jedi Master

no offense, but do you even know where teraflex or the other companies make the snatch, block, tow hooks, etc??

how do you know its from the same company?

I have a set of mastercraft ratchet straps for towing my JK, they simply have a mastercraft logo on them. I guarantee they are made by the same company that makes every other trucker ratchet strap. Theres nothing special about them.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DrewsJK
anyone have a stock front bumper they want to sell??
I still have my stocker. Go ahead and cut away, come take mine when you want.

Quick Reply: Long Island, NY