Notices
East Coast If you live in the Mid-Atlantic area (Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, DC, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Long Island, NY

Old 08-31-2009, 07:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys, I am coming home (rocky point) the weekend of the 18th of september and wanted to see if any of you guys had any wheeling plans? When I was home last I did some wheeling out in manorville, and rained like hell so it was nice and muddy . where else do you guys wheel?
Old 08-31-2009, 07:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

theres always the beach... will you be home for just the weekend? jk fest is at the very beginning of october
Old 08-31-2009, 07:28 PM
JK Super Freak

I used to run Smith's point all the time, but I don't have a pass anymore. What is the deal with JKFest? I am just coming home for the weekend, but I would consider coming back down again for sure if this JKFest is gonna be good
Old 09-01-2009, 04:15 AM
JK Freak

Default Beach - Sore Thumb

I still haven't purchased a portable air compressor, after you get off the beach where do you guys go to fill your tires back up? Also, what psi are you guys dropping too? I took mine down to 18psi, wondering if that's to low.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:26 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by redWRANGLER
I still haven't purchased a portable air compressor, after you get off the beach where do you guys go to fill your tires back up? Also, what psi are you guys dropping too? I took mine down to 18psi, wondering if that's to low.
18psi is fine. On the beach if I air down, it's to 18 also..
I have no idea about airing up, at smith point they have air..
Old 09-01-2009, 04:41 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They have air at the trail head of Democrat Point. You need to bring your own air hose and chuck. I carry one of those yellow coiled hoses and have a chuck on one end, and a male fitting on the other.

Even if I'm at Sore Thumb, I drive over to Dem Point to air up instead of using my cheap, emergency only air compressor.

The beaches suggest running at half the max tire pressure that is on your sidewall. Anything from 15-20 or so is fine. the LT tires have much stronger sidewalls and can be run very very low without issue. P tires will be better at 18 than 15. Then just take it slow (ie, under 50mph) when driving from Thumb to Dem Pt.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:04 AM
JK Freak

Thanks, I drove to the nearest gas station (low speed) which is what I'll do today. Just ordered a Superflow portable air compressor online, I couldn't find a decent Compressor in any of the stores (Pep Boys, Sears, Auto Barn.)

I was wondering if I could run with 25-28psi on the beach without worrying about getting stuck. The side walls on my 33' ProComps say a max of 65psi, but I only fill them to 40psi.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Thanks, I drove to the nearest gas station (low speed) which is what I'll do today. Just ordered a Superflow portable air compressor online, I couldn't find a decent Compressor in any of the stores (Pep Boys, Sears, Auto Barn.)

I was wondering if I could run with 25-28psi on the beach without worrying about getting stuck. The side walls on my 33' ProComps say a max of 65psi, but I only fill them to 40psi.
40? that seems like a lot i run 35 in my 32" rubicon bfg's and I have never aired down on the beach
Old 09-01-2009, 06:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Bosox5
I used to run Smith's point all the time, but I don't have a pass anymore. What is the deal with JKFest? I am just coming home for the weekend, but I would consider coming back down again for sure if this JKFest is gonna be good
jk fest is gonna be awesome check out this thread : https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/east-coast-51/eastcoast-jkfest-october-2-3-4-sign-up-94774/
Old 09-01-2009, 06:20 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by BBirish
40? that seems like a lot i run 35 in my 32" rubicon bfg's and I have never aired down on the beach
I've tried different psi's with these tires and 40 seems to be the best ride.
Happy to hear about not airing down at all, I'm going to try 30psi today. I'll shoot you an email to pull me out if I get stuck

Quick Reply: Long Island, NY