Notices
East Coast If you live in the Mid-Atlantic area (Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, DC, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Long Island, NY

Old 08-21-2009, 09:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

man i really wish i could go tomorrow!...ehhh...ive been wanting to go to smiths point forever!
Old 08-21-2009, 09:45 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by can10
im DEF on the WRONG Coast....hey adam....how do u like the orange jk?...i bet u get a lot of looks...i saw one yesterday on sunrise highway...with chrome rims....chrome grill...and chrome bumper...idk...
I LOVE the Orange!!! Especially clean and in the sun. It's great! Perfect! A Jeep needs to be in a bright, eye popping color, IMO. And a limited production, 2009 only color is cool.

ORANGE... BAM!!!

Old 08-21-2009, 10:06 AM
JK Junkie

I thought this might help. The rules are very similar (if not the same) for Smith's Point.

Fishing permits for New State Parks on Long Island

Available: January 2 - April 30 and Tuesday after Labor Day to December 31

at : Robert Moses State Park , 631-669-0470, - 7 days per week

Montauk Downs State Park, 631-668-500

Belmont State Park Office, 631-667-5055 - business hours

NIGHT SPORT FISHING PERMIT (New York State Parks)

Annual Fee: $ 30.00 (Year 2009)

Dates of sale: January 2 – April 30, and Tues. after Labor Day – December 31

Display This Permit on Dashboard

This Permit not valid unless permittee and passengers over 12 years old, have in their possession rods, reels, line, bait and hooks or lures.

This permit is valid for after-sunset parking for the purpose of night fishing ONLY at the State Parks listed from April 1 - Dec.31

CAPTREE: Main Field and Overlook Field. For vehicles with boat trailers parking is limited to 2 consecutive nights from Sept 14

to Dec 31.

JONES BEACH: Fields #6, 10, West End #2 and West End Boat Basin

HITHER HILLS: Except Memorial to Labor Day.

MONTAUK POINT: Lower Park Lot ONLY. Limit of 48 hours consecutive parking.

ROBERT MOSES: Field #2, all dates. Field #3 & 4 from Sept. 14 - Dec. 31 ONLY

SUNKEN MEADOW: Field #1 and Field #3.

GREEN ISLAND: Day / Night fishing is canceled until further notice.

Specific Regulations are as follows:

1. Barbecues, open fires, camping, tents, shelters, surfboards, SCUBA-diving equipment, jet skis, wind-surf/sail equipment, alcoholic beverages and pets are PROHIBITED (EXCEPTION: Dogs are permitted on a 6 foot leash in designated areas ONLY at Hither Hills and Montauk Point State Parks). Permit holders may be required to show fishing equipment (as specified on front of permit) at park upon request.

2. The driving or parking of vehicles on beach areas is prohibited except by special OPRHP - Long Island Region permit for properly equipped vehicles ONLY at designated areas. These 4-Wheel Drive permits may be purchased at the Montauk Complex, Robert Moses State Park and at the Regional Permit Office in Babylon

3. This permit is valid ONLY for vehicle bearing license plate number as indicated and is non-transferable to another person or vehicle. There will be NO REPLACEMENTS or REFUNDS FOR LOST STOLEN AND/OR REVOKED PERMITS. DUPLICATE PERMITS WILL NOT BE ISSUED.

4. Environmental conditions may require the temporary or permanent closure of all or part of beach areas accessed by this permit.

Violation of any condition of this permit or any rule of STATE PARKS or Long Island Park Region may result in the immediate revocation of this permit (NO REFUND) and possible issuance of a summons.

BEACH VEHICLE FISHING PERMIT (New York State Parks)

PERMIT VALID FOR 4-WHEEL DRIVE VEHICLES ONLY

Annual Fee: $ 65.00 (Year 2009)

Dates of sale: January 2 – April 30, and Tues. after Labor Day – December 31

Display This Permit on Dashboard

This Permit not valid unless permittee and passengers over 12 years old, have in their possession rods, reels, line, bait and hooks or lures.

This permit allows access to designated beach areas at Robert Moses (Democrat Point), Gilgo, Hither Hills, Napeague and Montauk Point State Parks for the purpose of fishing ONLY. Specific regulations as follows.

HITHER HILLS, NAPEAGUE, MONTAUK POINT - Permit valid 24 hours daily ( VALID YEAR ROUND ).

ROBERT MOSES (DEMOCRAT POINT) & GILGO - Permit valid 24 hours daily from April 1 to 5PM on Friday, May 22, and from 12:01 AM on Tuesday,

September 8 thru December 31, 2000. Effective 5 PM on Friday, May 22 to 12:01 AM on Tuesday,

September 8, vehicles may enter Democrat Point before 7 AM or after 5 PM ONLY Vehicles may remain on the beach for no more than 48 consecutive hours.

1. All vehicles must be equipped with fishing equipment (as specified on front of Permit), a shovel, rope or tow chain, portable toilet, jack and jack board, approved (33-x12.5-MAX) tires, which are aired down to one-half the maximum rated tire pressure, spare tire & tire gauge to register a minimum 5 PSI.

2. Follow designated access roads to the beach. Do not exceed 10 MPH at any time. Vehicles are permitted access to fishing areas ONLY; vehicles are not permitted elsewhere in off-road travel. DO NOT DRIVE ON DUNES, WETLANDS, BEACH GRASS, BIRD NEST AREAS, OR IN SEAL HAULOUT AREAS.

3. Open fires, camping, trailers, boats, inflatables, bathing, surfboards, jet skis, SCUBA-diving equipment (except with separate permit for diving), wind surf/sail equipment, alcoholic beverages and pets are PROHIBITED. (EXCEPTION: Dogs are permitted on a 6 foot leash at Hither Hills, Montauk Point and Napeague State Parks in designated areas ONLY. Dog owners are expected to clean up after their dogs.) Tents and portable shelters prohibited sunset to sunrise. Parking is limited up to 48 consecutive hours. Barbecues prohibited at Robert Moses State Park.

4. Beach Vehicle Permits also allow all privileges of Sport Fishing Permits which are valid April 1 - December 31 for after sunset parking for the purpose of night fishing ONLY as follows:

CAPTREE - Main Field and Overlook Field

HITHER HILLS - except Memorial Day to Labor Day

JONES BEACH - Fields #6, #10, West End #2 and Western Boat Basin

MONTAUK POINT - Lower Parking Lot ONLY

ROBERT MOSES - Field #2, Field #3 & 4 from Sept. 14 - Dec. 31 ONLY

SUNKEN MEADOW - Field #1 & Field #3

5. This permit is valid ONLY far vehicle bearing license plate number as indicated and is non-transferable to another person or vehicle. There will be NO REPLACEMENTS or REFUNDS FOR LOST, STOLEN AND/OR REVOKED PERMITS. DUPLICATE PERMITS WILL NOT BE ISSUED.

6. Environmental conditions may require the temporary or permanent closure of all or part of beach areas accessed by this permit.

Violations of any condition of this permit or of any rule of STATE PARKS or of the Long Island State Park Region may result in the immediate revocation of this permit (NO REFUND) POSSIBLE ISSUANCE OF A SUMMONS.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:09 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Smith point is closed because of high surf. Sucks.

Raised my breathers instead
Old 08-21-2009, 10:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by adamisadam
Smith's Point is really nice. Yes, you can buy a day pass ($30 or $40) or season pass ($90 with Suffolk Green Key Card) any time there as I recall.
More info can be found here:
http://www.suffolkcountyny.gov/Home/...ty%20Park.aspx
(I think I can post this direct link since it's not Jeep or vendor related. I hope.)

You should be able to find the info there on what you need to carry. But at a minimum, grab yourself a small shovel from a hardware store and keep that with you. I have an old military shovel that folds. It's great AND SMALL! I believe you are supposed to also carry an air pump (but air is available there) and a board to put your jack on should you need it.

For Robert Moses area, you need your own air hose to plug in to their air lines at the trail head of Democratic Point.

Also, at the Robert Moses beaches, has anyone ever even been asked to show their passes? I never have. And I carry my fishing pole, small tackle box with fake bait, and a 5 gal bucket. so I'm always prepared for there too.

I was asked at gilgo to show my permit and equipment and stuff and I only had 1 pole and they said i needed one for everyone over 12 even if they are not fishing i got a warning written on my permit for not having equipment for my friend too
Old 08-21-2009, 10:14 AM
JK Junkie

Robert Moses beaches just closed WATER access due to rough surf.

But we should still be able to cruise around and play, fish, fly kites, etc.

NOTE THE NO ALCOHOL POLICIES EVERYWHERE.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by adamisadam
Robert Moses beaches just closed WATER access due to rough surf.

But we should still be able to cruise around and play, fish, fly kites, etc.

NOTE THE NO ALCOHOL POLICIES EVERYWHERE.
i hope sore thumb is still going to be open
Old 08-21-2009, 10:27 AM
JK Super Freak

soo ummm lets get this planned up...

Rain or shine ??

Channel 19 CB or cells if you got em, mine is 6 three uno 9 two 6 three 6 five sixer...

meet at the gas station at 1030 roll out to the beach at 11
anyone comming later just give us a buzz or chip on the cb ???

or just look for the JK caravan

100% down for going to Sore Thumb at RM
1. Joey2times = Joe = 09 4door rubi + possible friends
2. AdamIsAdam = Adam = 09 Orange JKU (+2 kids)
3. BBirish
4. nonmember = pete = 07 4 door + friends **MORE LIKELY**
5. Sethc84 = Seth = 09 2door 100% in now
6. Drews JK
7. MMarz most likely not going

am I missing anyone ?
Old 08-21-2009, 10:30 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by DrewsJK
i hope sore thumb is still going to be open
The News 12 Blast email I got today said:

Swimming has been temporarily banned at Robert Moses State Park due to rough surf conditions.
Read more at News12.com
So that would lead me to believe beaches are open, but the ocean is closed
Old 08-21-2009, 11:02 AM
JK Super Freak

going to the mets game in a little while (yes I tailgate hard haha)

prob not going to see much more posted till tomorrow walking out the door...
I am down rain or shine... hahah

Quick Reply: Long Island, NY