Notices
East Coast If you live in the Mid-Atlantic area (Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, DC, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Long Island, NY

Old 08-19-2009, 06:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by adamisadam
Well, like I said, don't worry about the fishing gear as I'm sure we can bring enough poles for all. But I'm ok with a vote. I'd prefer Sore Thumb as I have the pass for it and it's closer, but I'll do either. Having been to both, I think a JK gathering will be more fun on a beach with virtually no rules in terms of where you can drive and park.

But like I said, I'd do either and am open to a vote. Mine is for Sore Thumb.
whopse didnt see this.... righttt so let me clear up the tally again then...
If you have been to both this year already I will take your word for it...
I just hope they dont seriously check for propper gear... all I got is a little fisher price rod hahaha wont be catching strippers with that.... (wont be even putting it in the water really just fills the requirement so I can play in the sand

So far:
100% down for going Saturday Aug 22 to Smiths Point.

1. Joey2times = Joe = 09 4door rubi + possible friends

Maybe will make it Saturday Aug 22 to Smiths Point.
1. AdamIsAdam = Adam = 2009 Orange JKU (+ 2 kids)
2. racer83l

100% down for going Saturday Aug 22 to Sore Thumb at RM
2. AdamIsAdam = Adam = 09 Orange JKU (+2 kids)
3. BBirish
Old 08-19-2009, 06:12 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Smith's point has basically a long trail/sandy road to get out to the beach. (correct me if my memory is incorrect). Once on beach, you have to park away from the water (facing it). The beach is great. Lots of people go and hang for the day. Not sure about alcohol.

Sore Thumb has a bunch of trails that zig zag around to get to different parts of the beach. You can drive and park anywhere. You should have a pole with you kinda, but most people I see are just posers. I think you aren't supposed to have alcohol there.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm in, like 80% chance.
I'd do either but I have the pass for sore thumb.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by adamisadam
Smith's point has basically a long trail/sandy road to get out to the beach. (correct me if my memory is incorrect). Once on beach, you have to park away from the water (facing it). The beach is great. Lots of people go and hang for the day. Not sure about alcohol.

Sore Thumb has a bunch of trails that zig zag around to get to different parts of the beach. You can drive and park anywhere. You should have a pole with you kinda, but most people I see are just posers. I think you aren't supposed to have alcohol there.
hummm....

Well I like Sore thumb then because I want to be able to do whatever and have fun and not have to worry about balls being busted and so on...

Side note... and has been debated by a friend with a pick up and myself... Locking up front and rear on the sand ??? worth it ?? or not worth it and actually worse ??

with the same air down and so on... only change is the axel locking

Side note -- I am thinking early ish so we get some good sun and some good time out there having fun...
10-11 am-ish ? randivous and head out ??

So far:
100% down for going Aug 22 to Smiths Point.
2. nonmember = pete = 07 4 door + friends

Maybe will make it to Smiths Point.
1. AdamIsAdam = Adam = 2009 Orange JKU (+ 2 kids)
2. racer83l
3. 2. Sethc84 = Seth = 09 2door 80%

100% down for going to Sore Thumb at RM
2. AdamIsAdam = Adam = 09 Orange JKU (+2 kids)
3. BBirish

Maybe for Sore thumb RM
1. nonmember = pete = 07 4 door + friends
2. Sethc84 = Seth = 09 2door 80%

Last edited by joey2times; 08-19-2009 at 06:44 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:07 PM
JK Super Freak

You definitely do NOT need to lock up on the beach. I dont air down either.

10 or 11 is fine with me

I think it will be difficult to rendezvous because we are all from different parts of the island.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:33 PM
JK Super Freak

So I see.....

....lots of maybes
Old 08-19-2009, 10:02 PM
JK Junkie

I will be there around 1pm or so. I have something in Nassau County that ends around noon.

I air down and see a BIG difference versus not airing down. If you have street tires, it's even more important.

I generally leave the rear locked and sway bar disco'd. I only lock the front if I'm messing around (AND GOING STRAIGHT!) Hey, may as well use em if I bought em!
Old 08-20-2009, 05:18 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dude you barely need 4x4 and you play with your lockers lol.. you do realize your more likely to dig a grave while locked than not right?

well... either way, if anyone else goes or not.. Ill probably end up taking a leisurely stroll down to the inlet at smith point.. Im not much into laying in the sun. And yes, smith point has probably 4 miles of trails, called Burma Road that you need to take in order to hit the inlet.
some photos from there..

Old 08-20-2009, 05:21 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh, and the reasoning behind not being able to park at the waters edge.. since this beach actually allows daytripping, there are obviously kids playing everywhere (mostly down by the water) and you know how it goes, SUV's reversing and little kids dont mix well..
Old 08-20-2009, 06:19 AM
JK Junkie

So locking in sand on beach is bad? Interesting. I was wondering the best way to drive on beach. I guess if locked in the rear, and I spin, both wheels will sink and I could bottom. That the theory? My thinking was that I'd be less likely to spin at all.

I will say the first time I went, I didn't air down at first, and when I did, I noticed a BIG difference in traction. Much better when aired down.

Oh, and that long sandy road is definitely cool at Smith's point.

Quick Reply: Long Island, NY