Notices
East Coast If you live in the Mid-Atlantic area (Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, DC, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Long Island, NY

Old 08-04-2009, 12:39 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

long island is a horrible place when it comes to finding a shop to do work like that/wheel the JK.

But its so perty to live on.

Can10, are you the first female to be on the Long Island thread?
Im not sure you are, but something tells me....
Old 08-05-2009, 07:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmmm...maybe...im not sure...i mean i see a couple of females driving jeeps around town...probably their husbands jeep...but prob the first on here..anways!....

hey guys...i really want newwwww tires! i dont need them...but i do want them...oh yeah and my wheels powdercoated!
Old 08-05-2009, 07:09 AM
JK Junkie

what are you looking to do as far as tires go? you looking to wheel your jeep? Lift/Tires? or just a more aggressive pattern?

also, tires for your 18" wheels are VERY expensive. I ditched those wheels because I couldnt afford tires for them.
I (for a while) was running 33" tires on 15" wheels, got the whole shebang for like $1,100 shipped. that was mounted, balanced, with new TPMS sensors. And 33's will fit your Jeep without a lift. especially if you dont offroad it.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by can10
hmmm...maybe...im not sure...i mean i see a couple of females driving jeeps around town...probably their husbands jeep...but prob the first on here..anways!....

hey guys...i really want newwwww tires! i dont need them...but i do want them...oh yeah and my wheels powdercoated!

I got 09 Rubi wheels and tires with less then 3200 miles on them....
5th wheel never touched the ground... they all have the TMP's in em

(not sure if you got a rubi or would be interested...)

I dont think it would cost much to have the rims powdered up but I don't know for sure.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:23 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by joey2times
I got 09 Rubi wheels and tires with less then 3200 miles on them....
5th wheel never touched the ground... they all have the TMP's in em

(not sure if you got a rubi or would be interested...)

I dont think it would cost much to have the rims powdered up but I don't know for sure.
Can10, This would be a good way to go. and as far as powdercoating goes, you can also just spray paint them to make touch ups easier
Old 08-05-2009, 07:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by racer83l
Can10, This would be a good way to go. and as far as powdercoating goes, you can also just spray paint them to make touch ups easier
hmmm...could i fit 35s on my stock 08 unlimited without a lift???

and...racer831...im really scared to do that cuz im not sure if it will come out right....im not sure its that easy either...
Old 08-05-2009, 07:55 AM
JK Junkie

35's wont fit without a lift.. A member on here had 35's and no lift, and they rubbed the flares when he hit bumps.

You could always buy Teraflex's 2.5" BB (its like $250) and then 35's will fit no problem..
the install is cake. if you or your hubby is at all mechanically inclined you can do it. there are write ups on here for it.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by racer83l
35's wont fit without a lift.. A member on here had 35's and no lift, and they rubbed the flares when he hit bumps.

You could always buy Teraflex's 2.5" BB (its like $250) and then 35's will fit no problem..
the install is cake. if you or your hubby is at all mechanically inclined you can do it. there are write ups on here for it.

even with the BB you might rub at flex and at turning depending.

Do you plan on running spacers ? or getting new rims too ? get the right BS' for it and also pull off your front plastic diffuser thing... also you might have to check your steering stops depending on width I hear...

I am running 35x12.5x18 on 5'' BS and I rub on the rubi rails... if you dont have rails you might not have that problem but I dont know if I am going to hit the pinch weld (it looks likely now that the rails are off getting cut) with anyflex... once the rails are cut I will cut the pinch weld too and hopefully that will make it ok... I had to pull off the front difuser too cus I hit at less then full turn even... but I do have a skidrow plate there now and I dont check that at all... You could prob cut your fenders down alot and put 35's on if your not wheeling and not rub but you might also have to cut the pinch for that to work...

More details on how you use the rig and what the full dimensions are on the wheels setup would make it easier to help ya

Hope that helps some though!
Old 08-05-2009, 08:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

alright guys...well...hmmm...im not mechanically inclined at all...and no hubby here sooo yeah....im still super new to this....so the story is...i needed a new car or truck...so i got a jeep....i love it...juss wish i could do some things to it....like....

-different tires...something a little bigger that will fit my stock wheels
-powdercoated stock wheels...or maybe even paint them black if i get brave enough....juss want them black
-tined lights...maybe.....to have the blacked out look going...but not get too crazy with it
-maybe a very small lift...in the future

and thats all....i dont wanna go crazy with it...juss do enough where im comfortable with the look....

now heres the thing...

im leasing my jeep....yuuuupppp....and my payments are not exactly cheap....and times are rough sooo yeah....im still debating on buying it out....im just scared of all the stories i hear about jeep parts being really expensive and stuff....and i dont want that to be a problem in the future...

question: im sure ill be violating the lease if i get these things done to my jeep right????...

any comments/ opinions...any feedback...let me know what u guys think...

like i said im still new to this so sorry if i sound retarded...

thankS!
Old 08-05-2009, 10:51 AM
JK Super Freak

alright guys...well...hmmm...im not mechanically inclined at all...and no hubby here sooo yeah....im still super new to this....so the story is...i needed a new car or truck...so i got a jeep....i love it...juss wish i could do some things to it....like...
congrats and welcome to the jeep addiction... a few things... What JK did you get.. as in:
09 I am guessing..
was it 2 door or the unlimited (4door)?
Was it an X or a Sahara or Rubicon ?
Any special packages or anything from the dealer?
Hard top or soft top or dualtop package?

All these things will factor into what you can do and what it will take to do it.

-different tires...something a little bigger that will fit my stock wheels
-powdercoated stock wheels...or maybe even paint them black if i get brave enough....juss want them black
-tined lights...maybe.....to have the blacked out look going...but not get too crazy with it
-maybe a very small lift...in the future
What are the size of the wheels you have on there now? (this depends on the model or package changes and things)
Powdercoating the stock wheels might cost a little bit but I have seen guys around here I think with sprayed wheels and they did it themselves... you can prob get help from someone and it shouldnt be too hard.
Tinted lights you can go about a few ways... they sell LED blacked out verisons but they require resistors and slicing (not lease friendly really) the easist way would be grab some nightshade spray and some clear coat and do it one weekend when its sunny... you can go light at first on the nightshade and get darker and darker as far as you want in light coats... clear coat will bring back the shine but some people like the matte black look too...
small lift should be ok... and down the road you will have more experiance and more know how of whats the best fit for you... a TF 2.5'' BB might be the best for you but you will have more of an idea when it comes down the line and its that time for the lift

and thats all....i dont wanna go crazy with it...juss do enough where im comfortable with the look....
Totally understandable just take your time and ask as many questions as you can think of and we will all help where we can

now heres the thing...

im leasing my jeep....yuuuupppp....and my payments are not exactly cheap....and times are rough sooo yeah....im still debating on buying it out....im just scared of all the stories i hear about jeep parts being really expensive and stuff....and i dont want that to be a problem in the future...

question: im sure ill be violating the lease if i get these things done to my jeep right????...
Welcome to the club hahaha The first weekend I had my lease I took her off roading and people though I was crazy!!! I am in the same boat as you... leasing because its what I could afford to do at the time and it was decently priced for my budget... sometimes I wish I decided to buy her out right but my buy out is not bad at all (through teachers federal credit union) and while it might cost me a little more in the long run its what made the most sense for me in the short term....
when I went to RC people were calling me Joey Stocker untill they found out it was not only a completely stock truck but also a 1 month old LEASED truck!! hahaha then they all called me Joeylease... the name stuck and now the jeep is unoffically "Jolease"

I am pretty positive I am going to buy her which is why I went with so many mods in the first 8 months heh but if your not you can take it slow...

Your light tints, and painting of the stock wheels shouldn't have any effect on your lease or coverage at all... the wheels shouldnt either so long as you dont go to crazy. When I took mine in on 35's they said it looked sweet... if I took it in on 35's with a busted axle they would prob be saying "not under warranty".
I am not sure what dealer you have but some are more forgiving then others... the rule of thumb with Huntington Jeep is that if you do something and that something breaks... then its not covered... but if you do something and something else breaks... we might cover it... (obviously it depends on what) if you go with 33's you prob wont have any issues at all and can get them on the stock wheels for the most part. (the rubicons come with 32'' tires stock) when it comes time for the lift then we can get into what would be the best way to go and the least likely to mess up the warranty

well I hope that helps I kinda wrote a novel there... sorry bout that

Quick Reply: Long Island, NY