Notices
East Coast If you live in the Mid-Atlantic area (Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, DC, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Long Island, NY

Old 12-21-2007, 09:13 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by racer83l
oh and on wednesday morning.. I went out to tanger to find out that those ugg boots are sold out...... pretty pissed... on the way back I went to hot water st.
For what it is worth, I got the lady some Uggs for Xmas, but as you found out, Riverhead had nothing. It may be too late, but I eventually got mine (hers) from cozyboots.com. Decent prices (if $250 for boots can EVER be considered decent ), and free quick delivery.
Good luck, and Happy Holidays too all...
Old 01-08-2008, 11:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hey gang!

Just picked up my 08 Unlimited Rubicon yesterday - loaded out, 6 speed. I'm in Massapequa. Got a good friend with an 07 Unlimited X a few minutes away from me in Lindenhurst, also.

I'm completely clueless and new to Jeepin' and wheelin', so I look forward to some good old fashioned home schoolin' from all of you guys! GOnna be out eastish today to visit a friend so perhaps the lady and I will stop to eyeball Hot Water Street - should I avoid checking into that alone as a newbie, or is just a muddy road with some bumps?

Lookin forward to meetin' and greetin' as many of you all as possible in the future!

-----anton
Old 01-08-2008, 12:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah, I know not to be wheelin solo, but... it's long island, and it's a road of sorts.. so I figured it might be a fun dirt road more than real wheelin.

Excellent, hopefully I'll get her dirty tonight!

So, is someone going to step up and take the reins to organize an LI jeepout? I suppose I can volunteer- though I have no wheelin' merit badges, I can try to organize a bunch of slackers... I do it all day at work!

p.s. - you guys all now have a friend who works for Optimum Online / Optimum Voice. Feel free to PM if you need anything. I don't do TV though! Just internet and phone!
Old 01-09-2008, 09:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would definitely be game. My weekends are hectic until mid / end of February (previous plans, week snowboarding in Tahoe, much more) but after that, I'd be all over it.

Didn't get to Hot Water St. last night - got more business out east this evening so hopefully tonight!
Old 01-10-2008, 05:06 AM
JK Newbie

THE FOLLOWING IS A QUOTE, I'm not directing this at any one individual on here!

"Probably because there is no place really to go wheeling around here."

That's right, and if you guys keep advertising all of your illegal wheeling trips there won't be anywhere in the North East to go wheeling anymore.

If you idiots want to wheel illegally then do it without annoucing it to the world.

This might be harsh and will probably be frowned on. I Don't really care if I hurt a few feelings.

I personally invest alot of time and money in legal wheeling. Why don't you guys look into an organized club or at least a legal place to wheel.

When I was younger, Hot Water Street was a legal place for dirt bikes. I rode there for many years. It was closed due to too many people going there without a valid ten dollar permit and proper liability insurance which ran under 75.00 a year.

Now, If some of you are really interested if safe and legal wheeling then feel free to contact me.

I didn't post here to start a war. Hopefully we are all adults on here and don't turn this into a deleted tread.

Bob Coco

P.S. If you really want to rant and rave, call me. You can look my number up on anywho or google.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

So is that confirmation that HWS is not a legal spot to wheel, Bob? No offense taken, clearly. I was under the impression that it was in fact a legal spot, but am the first to admit I'm not very clued in! =)

I checked it out last night, made it as far as the first descent by the utility poles, went down, turned around, came out. It was dark and I was solo, so rather than get plucky I figured I'd try to visit again, maybe Sunday AM, and not risk stupidity or indiscretion. Got the first scratches on my new baby, too - they'll buff right out, stupid twigs. It was a lot tighter than I expected. How much more is there beyond that first descent with the large turnaround at the base?

What beaches have permits and where do I sign up for them? Clue the newbie in. =)

I'm more than happy to meet up with any and all of you guys whenever I'm able to. Sundays would be preferable as I can probably get my buddy who's got an 07 Unlimited X out with me. This Saturday I'll be up in VT snowboarding, but if you guys want to rally on Sunday early for a little while, I'd be game. I have to be in the city later that day, girl got us tickets to Spamalot at 7pm, but earlier is all good.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks Racer. Readin up now.

Hey, Hot Water Street- I'm wondering if I was in the right place?

(Well, I was off the road, so I was in a good place.. but... )

I actually went along HWS, moving east, found a really tight trail on the south side nearish the eastern end of the street, and cut onto it.

Over on Jeep Forum I'm seeing reference to 'Toppings Path' ? I don't know if I saw that or not.

Color me confused. Whatever the case, it was a real tight trail, took it south for a wee bit, came up a tiny berm then dropped almost 90 degrees to my left and went down a descent that follow some power lines... large clearing at the bottom, another climb ahead following the powerlines. I retreated at that point, again, since I was solo in the dark. (Those stock fogs put off some LIGHT, I'll tell you what.)

Definitely would be interested in a short meetup on Sunday early if any are game. Maybe figure out where the hell I was and where I should have been.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hey Guys, I know where Bob is coming from as far as places getting shut down and all that. The DEC out here is unforgiving and it just took a few individuals to ruin it for everyone that owns a 4 wheeler or ATV. With the best of intentions to go offroad and have fun we are looked upon as destroyers natural habitat by all the tree huggers. Smith Point would be a great spot if we can get a group together one weekend. Alot of good riding. A good place to start by getting everyone together for a meet and greet. IMHO
Old 01-12-2008, 05:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

SC Parks Beach Access Pass...I haven't looked into when the new ones come out yet though. Anyone have info on the date?
Old 01-13-2008, 11:58 AM
JK Junkie

Picking up my 08 X this Tuesday. I can't wait. Holbrook here. Good thing there's a bunch of you guys out here. Setting up a meet and greet? Where do I pick up a park pass from? Barely moved out to Long Island last month. Need a little "guidance".

Quick Reply: Long Island, NY