Notices
East Coast If you live in the Mid-Atlantic area (Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, DC, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Long Island, NY

Old 07-08-2009, 06:29 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very interesting. That really shouldn't have happened. It looks like you just got unlucky (but you know that already! :( ) That first puddle was right on the airbox side.

What's funny is that on my KJ I could plow through puddles and the water would go up and onto the hood, not in front where the air intake is. Also, I have to look at the JK, but the KJ has an air deflector right in front of the air box what helps guide water AWAY from it. I wonder if we could place something like that on our JK's.

Lastly, hard core off roaders like Mark Smith suggest disconnecting the air box from the duct work to the top of the motor. It always struck me as a bad idea, but I guess in this case, I would have helped. who knows.

Bottom line, thanks for showing us all how dangerous it can be to plow through even a modest poddle! I'm being serious. I personally will go easier on the skinny pedal when playing in the mud.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:10 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hence why I would never plow through water or mud, no matter the height. You want to get dirty, get mud and throw it on you rig by hand. Such a simple thing can be such a costly mistake. I stick to crawling and stay away from mud and water.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Suffolk JK
Hence why I would never plow through water or mud, no matter the height. You want to get dirty, get mud and throw it on you rig by hand. Such a simple thing can be such a costly mistake. I stick to crawling and stay away from mud and water.
agreed, I just dont have the ability to take lots of trips to where crawling is an option...

I love getting muddy, but I didnt think really use caution at all....

I know it looks modest because its fast paced but if you slow it down at one point you cant see the truck at all.... the reason the whole front of the truck looked clean comming out of that is the force I hit the puddle with and how thin that spot was with real mud, more like kinda dirty water...

obviously I learned a lesson from this.... that I need a snorkle
but seriously, I am going to be a bit more cautious on the skinny pedel for a long time after this even once I get the snork...

real lesson learned... take responsibilty for what you do... and learn from your mistakes...
Old 07-08-2009, 10:17 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ok, now that you're ready for some real trails, who wants to go on the Catskills Jeep Jamboree in September?

I finally worked it out with JJUSA, and I can get one more Jeep into this closed event. PM me if you want the spot before it's gone. Check out the jeepjamboreeusa.com web site for pricing and dates. Act fast. I would like to make the phone calls and get it done before Friday.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by joey2times
seriously that may have convinced me to get a stinger man when I go for a front bumper hahahahahaha

here is me hydrolocking by the way...

http:// w w w .youtube.com/watch?v=WCjuP2ypY2I

Ugh... Sorry man- that sucks. Can't believe it - but glad you're not discouraged.

Nonetheless - I like your new setup! You've been busy!

Its looking badass.

Hope to see you up @ RC or the PB soon.

-Matt
Old 07-09-2009, 06:14 PM
JK Super Freak

alright so the additions just keep piling up... (as does the debt!!! hahaha)
I just picked up the Smittybuilt rear bumper/tire carrier... Few issues with it that maybe someone could help me out with...

ok so for one, It was a TOTAL bitch to line up the bumper, it was me and a friend and it would line up but I had to realllllly beat on her to get it the extra 1/2 inch for the 4 hitch side bolts to line up and get in... then getting the locking washers on those was super hard but it worked...

The directions are super beat... they are for the SRC bumper or something so they only kinda sorta lined up...so far there is a handful of hardware that doesnt really match up to anything yet (but I am not done .... :( )

So I get the bumper on and then put the carrier in place (the directions were super confusing though *possiably cus its for the wrong bumper* and I nearly snaped in the last ring before putting the shield/edge piece thing on the right side of the post..... good thing I stopped myself... so then the tail gate looks a lil soft on the side that is supposed to bold on but once I tightened up the pinch bolts it was ok and lined up good... Problem is that I cant for the life of me get the first bolt in the shield/post cover to go in... I got in with the locking nut on and then it only went so far before it pinched out my wrench and now its not all the way tight ?? and I have tryed all the tools I got to get in there but I am SOL... anyone have any hints or tips for this ??

also... and the biggest issue so far... the latch is kinda weak... I had no tire and not even the tire mount piece or the 3rd breaklight piece on it and on the way home (all highway) the latch totally fliped 95-105 degrees to the open status... now it didnt come undone likely cus there was no weight on it and because it rotated a tiny bit past the 90 degrees to open but ???? is this going to be worse with a tire on there ?? cus that might be super dangrous...

anyone got any pointers...maybe that last bolt in the shield part will hold it a bit sturdier?? or maybe I am doing something wrong :(

any helping hints are much appreaciated...

on the upside... it looks FREAKING AMAZING!!! and its not even 100% done... the metal feels real solid and stout... the welds seem clean and the finish seems pretty dam sturdy... Hardware had 8.8 on it ? I think thats the china versions ? not the 6 hash marks indicating that its grade8 right ???

Though all the instructions (for the 2007 SRX*or something like that* bumper)say grade 8 parts...

I mean, if I can get the few little problems worked out... this thing is going to be amazing

Also does anyone know if the old latch (the one that is supposed to be soo much better) works on the newer bumpers ??

alright more to come I guess review wise...

P.s. chris thankyou once again for the total deal !! I prob will be calling you tomorrow for some advice on that last bolt
Old 07-10-2009, 02:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

joey , i cant help you on the last bolt i had no problem getting mine in , but as for the latch i had the same problem , and i ended up taking the latch apart , cuting one of my factory tire bumpers , and puting it in place of the rubber bumper that came with the xrc it made it very tight , and so far the tire carrier hasent moved anymore , the latch does suck , , but i love the bumper , ps , the brake light sqeaks , ill try to tweek that today
Old 07-10-2009, 09:33 AM
JK Super Freak

joey bring that jeep to bellmore so we can see it tonight anyone that can go i encourage you to bring youre JK's to the bellmore car show tonight
Old 07-10-2009, 12:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

joeys jk is sweet he has my favorite wheels and tire combo , rockstars with mud grapplers nice rig bro
Old 07-10-2009, 01:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by lijeepguy
joeys jk is sweet he has my favorite wheels and tire combo , rockstars with mud grapplers nice rig bro

whats the deal with bell ? I wana come tonight so some peeps can maybe offer some ideas about my carrier hahah

I am guna get a washer first too and maybe try to fit that so who knows maybe It will be fixed!!!

Quick Reply: Long Island, NY