Notices
East Coast If you live in the Mid-Atlantic area (Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, DC, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Long Island, NY

Old 05-26-2009, 02:33 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by adamisadam
Is that the one that got towed out? I saw it on the tow truck. What the heck happened there? Fire in an `08? makes me want to carry a bigger, more accessible extenguisher!
yea i think he overheated his tranny and broke a line and caused a fire or something. but he was pulling people that got stuck earlier. i tried to tow him out but i sank 6 inches into the sand with my truck. now im definately getting a fire extinguisher
Old 05-26-2009, 05:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yea that Jeep that caught fire was a guy I work with, He just had his transfer case and tranny fixed since it cracked on a previous trip, he just got it back and it went up in flames.

Heres the pics he send me.

Attachment 24678

Attachment 24679

Last edited by wayoflife; 07-24-2009 at 04:42 PM.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:13 PM
JK Newbie

yea that would be the one i saw yesterday. that definately sucks, i tried to pull him off the beach but the sand was not cooperating.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

wow that just sucks , i hope his insurance covers it , what a sin , hey vindecent , hows it going , long time no see , talk to you soon
Old 05-27-2009, 04:42 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow he should have let it burn the rest of the way.. they are prob going to try and fix it... whats with JK's and going on fire???
Old 05-27-2009, 05:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

I know right, I only read threads about fires before, never actually knew anyone locally affected by it until now. I need to get myself a fire extinguiser, you just never know..
Old 05-27-2009, 06:01 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, this fire was clearly caused by faulty workmans ship (someone didn't connect those lines properly according to the post before). What are the reasons of other JK fires?

Also, FWIW, the professionals all say to NEVER attempt to put out your own under-hood car fire. It's just way too dangerous. The heat from all the plastic and stuff burns as hot as 2,000 degrees. And the toxins from the aforementioned plastic goodies are NASTY! And finally, when you open the hood, assuming you don't burn your fingers right off trying to get it open, when it is opened you could get a huge fireball because of all the air you are feeding to the fire.

That being said, I personally have put out two SMALL engine bay fires in my life. Once by blowing it out, the other by putting a bandanna on it. There were small and we noticed it because the engine temp gauge started to climb and the oil that caught fire from the oil pressure line to the gauge was smoking a bit (In my friend's 1975 Vega!). If I ever see smoke BILLOWING from under my hood, I'm going to grab my kids and start making calls (911, local FD, then my insurance company!

I like my stuff, but they make new stuff all the time!!!
Old 05-27-2009, 07:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by racer83l
wow he should have let it burn the rest of the way.. they are prob going to try and fix it... whats with JK's and going on fire???
i agree joe hahaha and tell them there was a hemi in there hahah
Old 05-29-2009, 08:06 AM
JK Super Freak

anyone gonna head out to bellmore with us tonight? starts at around 6 pm, how about some of you newly lifted guys
Old 05-29-2009, 08:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by BBirish
anyone gonna head out to bellmore with us tonight? starts at around 6 pm, how about some of you newly lifted guys
The beer olympics are tomorrow in P.A. So I am going to be driving down tonight so I am fully rested for my team to dominate tomorrow.... I might swing through on the way out but Idk if I will be able to...

Sunday funday ?? anyone know any places to wheel on sunday locally ?

Quick Reply: Long Island, NY