Notices
East Coast If you live in the Mid-Atlantic area (Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, DC, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Long Island, NY

Old 05-12-2009, 10:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why not 16's i went with 16's the tires are a lot cheaper. i just ordered 315/75/r16 KM2 mud terrains if they get here by friday you will be able to see them sat. im hoping they come. the bigger the rim the more expensive the tire. and youw ill regret it down the line if you ever want to go bigger
Old 05-12-2009, 11:27 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by joey2times
we def need to remember to take before and after pics and lift height measurements so we can see just how much difference the same kit is for each jeep with different tops and options and stuff
Yes! Measurments for sure! And pics too.

I'm interested to see if the same kit yields varying results as each Jeep has build variances.

My Jeep is going in to dealer friday to get the clamp replaced on that plastic accordian boot on the drive shaft. I bent it up and off when I got high centered at RC. it's the front one which is higher than the other, and I put zip ties on there. No fluid seen anywhere (I noticed it on the trail). So I assume they just need to reclamp it and I figured I'd do it before I lift it.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by adamisadam
Yes! Measurments for sure! And pics too.

I'm interested to see if the same kit yields varying results as each Jeep has build variances.

My Jeep is going in to dealer friday to get the clamp replaced on that plastic accordian boot on the drive shaft. I bent it up and off when I got high centered at RC. it's the front one which is higher than the other, and I put zip ties on there. No fluid seen anywhere (I noticed it on the trail). So I assume they just need to reclamp it and I figured I'd do it before I lift it.
make sure they dont try to keep it too long!!! you dont wana miss the parrrtttttyyyy !!!
Old 05-12-2009, 11:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Offroadme
why not 16's i went with 16's the tires are a lot cheaper. i just ordered 315/75/r16 KM2 mud terrains if they get here by friday you will be able to see them sat. im hoping they come. the bigger the rim the more expensive the tire. and youw ill regret it down the line if you ever want to go bigger
well I am def open minded to taking a look but I kinda have a crush on 18's on 35's hahaha

but hey who knows... and cheaper is always nice.. this is true! hahahaha
Old 05-12-2009, 12:40 PM
JK Junkie

make sure they dont try to keep it too long!!! you dont wana miss the parrrtttttyyyy !!!

Yes! I already figured I would tell them I MUST have it back that day. If not, I won't leave it at all. The only thing I can think of, is if they decide they want to replace that boot and repack the grease so they have to drop the drive shaft. Even that won't take very long as long as they get to it!

What's the deal with that slip yoke thing. Is there a ton of grease in there? or is it just lubed a bit? should I be worred at all? I wanted to get it in there BEFORE the lift kit so they can't claim the lift affected it somehow should the driveshaft go later.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by adamisadam
Yes! I already figured I would tell them I MUST have it back that day. If not, I won't leave it at all. The only thing I can think of, is if they decide they want to replace that boot and repack the grease so they have to drop the drive shaft. Even that won't take very long as long as they get to it!

What's the deal with that slip yoke thing. Is there a ton of grease in there? or is it just lubed a bit? should I be worred at all? I wanted to get it in there BEFORE the lift kit so they can't claim the lift affected it somehow should the driveshaft go later.
good idea...

I dont know much about the yolk things though :(
Old 05-12-2009, 01:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

I third the measurements and photos movement. What we should do is setup a camera somewhere, maybe in the driveway and do not move it at all. Put some chalk on the ground where the jeeps front wheels would be and take a before picture. Then after the lift is done, wheel it out to the same exact spot and take an after picture. This way, you can flip through the two and see EXACTLY what kid of difference the lift (and tires in my case) would make!

Adam, you better make sure they don't tell you it'll get done, but then end up needing to keep it a day with it half assembled and unfinished at closing time!

Oh and I completely agree with looking into 16's. Something to me screams bling bling when I see 18" or larger wheels on a Jeep. not a good thing....but this is just my opinion. Obviously if you are still wheeling it, then its all good. Most people into big wheels don't necessarily like to offroad. The reason I went with 15's over 16's is that you get even more meat on those wheels. To me, nothing looks as badass as that. 18's are on my car and that's where they'll stay.
Plus like was said, tires for smaller wheels are cheaper for some reason, even though there is less rubber involved (I dont get it )
Old 05-12-2009, 01:18 PM
JK Junkie

I have to check, but I think my video camera might have a time lapse function. that would be cool too. time lapese the entire day!

But yes, that would be funny to make chalk marks (and hope it doesn't rain) and take before and after pics of each jeep in the exact same spot. funny!
Old 05-12-2009, 01:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

I like the time lapse idea. you should definitely check out your camera.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:04 PM
JK Super Freak

dude i have a front driveshaft for a 4dr i got a new one and they are not going to be able to fix the boot. they are going to tell you you need a new DS you can have mine if you want it's cake to change. or you can always upgrade. mine is just sitting on my shelf in my garage incase someone needs it. cause i sure don't. i did the yolk conversion so it's yours if you want we can add that to out list of things to do

F the dealer tell them you got a new one or something cause i will tell you what they are going to do they are going to say they took it off and they are going to have to order a new one and they don't have it. and need to order one and your going to be screwed.

Last edited by Offroadme; 05-12-2009 at 03:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Long Island, NY