Notices
East Coast If you live in the Mid-Atlantic area (Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, DC, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Inspection in PA

Old 08-18-2010, 05:31 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Inspection in PA

Do I need to have an accurate speedometer to pass inspection in PA?

- Josh
Old 08-18-2010, 05:34 PM
JK Newbie

Cool. I wasn't sure. I wanted to make sure before getting caught off guard.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ECHO
They would have to drive it or dyno it .. in order to check it... I have never had them drive my car or Jeep for an inspection..
WOW, that's something. Everytime I've had any of my Jeeps inspected, the first thing the service machanic would do would be to drive it around a couple blocks then into the bay. After inspection, he'd again drive it around for about ten minites, then into the dealers lot and park it. maybe just the area I live.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:41 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorrel
WOW, that's something. Everytime I've had any of my Jeeps inspected, the first thing the service machanic would do would be to drive it around a couple blocks then into the bay. After inspection, he'd again drive it around for about ten minites, then into the dealers lot and park it. maybe just the area I live.
He probably just wanted to drive your jeep.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:38 AM
JK Super Freak

See I would have a problem with that.. what if he was in a wreck and it was totalled.. I would be PISSED!!
I thought for sure part of the Pa vehicle inspection was a road test, so I looked up the inspection requirements and procedures and this is what was in the last part of the inspection procedures.

§ 175.80. Inspection procedure.

(f) Road test. Perform road test and reject if one or more of the following apply:
(1) The parking brake fails to exhibit normal resistance when an attempt is made to move the vehicle both forward and backward from a stopped position.
(2) The automatic transmission will not hold in the park position.
(3) The vehicle is not capable of stopping within the maximum stopping distance prescribed in Table I (relating to brake performance) or swerves so that any part leaves the 12-foot lane.
(4) There is a malfunction of the braking or steering mechanism, particular shimmy, wander, pull or another questionable operating behavior that affects safe operation of the vehicle.
(5) The speedometer does not operate.
(6) The odometer does not operate, except on a motor vehicle at least 25 years old.
(7) The vehicle cannot be driven both forward and backward.

So to answer the OP's question.
Yes in accordance with inspection procedures, you do need both a speedometer and odometer that are in working condition.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:00 AM
JK Newbie

So it needs to work but not necessarily be accurate? Right now I'm about 5 mph off.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by hitekrdnk43
Don't worry about it, as long as it works your good to go.
Yea, if it's just a bit off, you'll be good to go. If you take it to a dealership you may even want to ask if they would flash it to get it on. But then again you may be opening a can of worms.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:57 AM
JK Super Freak

I kinda have the same deal going, they know me well, know I take really good care of it..
Yea, I agree here. I've been on very good terms with the local dealership here since 1994 when I bought my first 94XJ. Know most of the salesmen, and all the mechanics including all parts guys by name. What's even better they all know me by name.
Last inspection the Robin, one of the service desk guys told me I still needed the XJ front rotor recall that was due back in 96. Every year I go for inspection it comes up. Back in early 96 I installed Bendix Rotors and carbon metalic pads since I installed a 6" lift and 33's
He said he'd like to get it off the books. Jim the machinic who was doing the XJ came to me and asked if I really wanted the rotors done, since my rotors were still good. Said he's talk with Marty the parts guy and if I wanted, he'd just sign out the new rotors and put them in the XJ. That's what we did. He said don't tell Robin as he's kind of a strange guy. Said I'd have to wait about an hour though so he could cover his time for the (rotor install). He messed around and I went to look at a few older cars in the used car showroom. Got to see a sit in a 70 HemiCuda, original numbers (not for sale), and a few other older dodge muscle cars. After all was said and done I got a brand new set of rotors for the XJ sitting in my basement. Everyone happy.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:27 PM
jk08jp

Default working speedo

Originally Posted by Lorrel
I thought for sure part of the Pa vehicle inspection was a road test, so I looked up the inspection requirements and procedures and this is what was in the last part of the inspection procedures.

§ 175.80. Inspection procedure.

(f) Road test. Perform road test and reject if one or more of the following apply:
(1) The parking brake fails to exhibit normal resistance when an attempt is made to move the vehicle both forward and backward from a stopped position.
(2) The automatic transmission will not hold in the park position.
(3) The vehicle is not capable of stopping within the maximum stopping distance prescribed in Table I (relating to brake performance) or swerves so that any part leaves the 12-foot lane.
(4) There is a malfunction of the braking or steering mechanism, particular shimmy, wander, pull or another questionable operating behavior that affects safe operation of the vehicle.
(5) The speedometer does not operate.
(6) The odometer does not operate, except on a motor vehicle at least 25 years old.
(7) The vehicle cannot be driven both forward and backward.

So to answer the OP's question.
Yes in accordance with inspection procedures, you do need both a speedometer and odometer that are in working condition.
Yes it has to be in working condition not reading correctly!
you do not need a speedo to read correctly to pass inspection! just has to be operational

Quick Reply: Inspection in PA