Notices
Cooking & Grilling General discussion forum regarding kitchen cooking and BAR-B-Q Grilling.

What are you grilling right now?

Old 07-12-2009, 07:21 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chicken breasts in lime, honey and cilantro (recipe courtesy of my loveley wife, doojette )...

And grilled peaches with nutmeg for dessert.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9518.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	26884   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9519.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	26885   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9520.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	26886  
Old 07-12-2009, 08:36 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lookin good dooj
Old 07-12-2009, 08:44 PM
JK Jedi Master

wow, that sure beats the two hotdogs I grilled before work
Old 07-18-2009, 11:52 AM
JK Junkie

doojer,
I am looking for a grilling receipe for chicken that is unique. Your celentro chicken looked great. Give me something fairly simple to surprise the wife with.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:25 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by dburgette
doojer,
I am looking for a grilling receipe for chicken that is unique. Your celentro chicken looked great. Give me something fairly simple to surprise the wife with.
Hey-- just saw this now... the honey-lime-cilantro chicken recipe is pretty simple.

-just season a couple chicken breasts with a little salt and pepper

-mix together some fresh lime juice, olive oil, cumin, cilantro and honey in a bowl (all you need is a few tablespoons of this)

-coat the chicken in the mixture and leave in the fridge for a couple hours or so

-take the chicken out and throw it on the grill.

But, my favorite BBQ chicken to make is the classic "Cornell" chicken. It's not hard to make, but it requires a lot of attention while cooking to keep the heat right and to baste and keep the chicken from burning. All you do is throw an egg, vegetable oil, cider vinegar, kosher salt, pepper and poultry seasoning into the food processor and puree it until it's smooth and foamy. Then, throw as many half chickens (on the bone) directly over the coals as you want-- cook both sides for a couple minutes and then leave the meaty sides up (bone sides down) and baste with the basting mixture every 3 minutes or so for the rest of the time until the chicken is cooked through (wisk the basting mixture before basting so it stays mixed and foamy). Close the lid when you aren't basting.... there will be flare-ups, so be ready to work with that. By the time the chicken is cooked, the basting mixture will have formed a golden brown layer, almost like a thin batter, that tastes so good you won't believe it (note: this tastes much better over charcoal than on gas... but work with what ya got!). Like I said, this one requires constant attention, but it's worth it. I'll do some this week or next and post up some pics.

Hope that helps!
Old 07-19-2009, 11:21 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by doojer
Hey-- just saw this now... the honey-lime-cilantro chicken recipe is pretty simple.

-just season a couple chicken breasts with a little salt and pepper

-mix together some fresh lime juice, olive oil, cumin, cilantro and honey in a bowl (all you need is a few tablespoons of this)

-coat the chicken in the mixture and leave in the fridge for a couple hours or so

-take the chicken out and throw it on the grill.

But, my favorite BBQ chicken to make is the classic "Cornell" chicken. It's not hard to make, but it requires a lot of attention while cooking to keep the heat right and to baste and keep the chicken from burning. All you do is throw an egg, vegetable oil, cider vinegar, kosher salt, pepper and poultry seasoning into the food processor and puree it until it's smooth and foamy. Then, throw as many half chickens (on the bone) directly over the coals as you want-- cook both sides for a couple minutes and then leave the meaty sides up (bone sides down) and baste with the basting mixture every 3 minutes or so for the rest of the time until the chicken is cooked through (wisk the basting mixture before basting so it stays mixed and foamy). Close the lid when you aren't basting.... there will be flare-ups, so be ready to work with that. By the time the chicken is cooked, the basting mixture will have formed a golden brown layer, almost like a thin batter, that tastes so good you won't believe it (note: this tastes much better over charcoal than on gas... but work with what ya got!). Like I said, this one requires constant attention, but it's worth it. I'll do some this week or next and post up some pics.

Hope that helps!
Yes, it helps a ton. I think I will try both of them in the near future. I'll start with the cilantro. I like the other chicken option as well. I want to get a Weber charcoal, basic but perfect size. Right now I cook on my Gas Weber. Would be great to have both options -- charcoal is always better in my opinion. Thanks for the help doojer.
Old 07-19-2009, 03:14 PM
JK Junkie

grilled salmon with a habenoro peach glaze and grilled honey drizzled peach slices:
Old 07-19-2009, 03:41 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by fish
grilled salmon with a habenoro peach glaze and grilled honey drizzled peach slices:
Very nice, sir!! That looks absolutely delicious! I just threw on the ribs.
Old 07-19-2009, 04:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bacon wrapped jalepenos stuffed with cream cheese, white cheddar, and onion. Also halibut with some crab and shrimp noodle salad on the side.

This has got to be the best thread on the site.
Old 07-19-2009, 04:17 PM
JK Jedi

Wow-- sounds awesome, I'll have to try that.... post pics!

My ribs have been covered with homemade rub, cured and are now on the grill!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9538.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	27230   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9540.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	27231  

Quick Reply: What are you grilling right now?