Notices
Cooking & Grilling General discussion forum regarding kitchen cooking and BAR-B-Q Grilling.

what do you eat?

Old 11-18-2011, 07:30 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow! . . . what great Forums you folks have here!

A little something for everyone here at JK-Forums!

I haven't gone camping for quite some time, but it's hard to beat the old fashioned "beans and franks" combo! (I like "Bush's" baked beans (with the talking dog *lol*) and "Ball Park" franks the best, but that's just me). Very simple, very cheap, very easy to make, easy to clean up after, only need one pot to cook it in, etc. Dump 'em in together and simmer for awhile . . . . and, believe me, when you're tired and hungry, they taste like (or better than), filet mignon!

The baked beans can be eaten right out of the pot, or, if you're with others, they can be transferred to styrofoam cups, etc.

If you want to get fancier than that, you could add chopped onions, peppers, even small bits of boiled potato, but you need better rolls to do this: I found it's better not to use regular "hot dog rolls" . . . get larger "hoagie" rolls. They are stiffer and can hold the dogs better without dropping them on the ground, especially when it's dark out, and you are tired (guess how I learned this )

The key is simplicity, and function!

And while the dogs and beans are simmering, I always liked to clear my palate with good old Coors Light!

When I went hiking/camping at Round Valley in good old NJ, this is the meal that saved my cold, wet, miserable day!

All best, Joe

Last edited by Jersey Joe; 11-18-2011 at 08:06 AM.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

We always carry Pringles in the can. ( that way our chips don't get smashed )
Old 11-18-2011, 08:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Klink75
Spam is a camping breakfast must! Sliced up & fried
X2! Hell yeah.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:03 PM
JK Newbie

For breakfast, easy huevos rancheros, guaranteed to hold you over til supper. For supper, anything you can do on a grill while holdin a beer. Also have been known to branch out as far as havin a rum or some wine while cookin.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just bring strippers and beer

Last edited by profebill; 11-18-2011 at 09:20 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:58 PM
JK Newbie

I have no idea what its called but I take ground sirloin and potatoes carrots and corn with salt and pepper wrap in foil and throw it into the hot fire coals for like 6 hours its like a dry stew
Old 11-19-2011, 02:14 PM
JK Newbie

Usually just chips and beer for the whole weekend! haha
Old 11-19-2011, 02:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

We generally eat healthy but on the trails or camping take out the brawts and some blue buck beer. The brawts marinade in a sweet chili sauce for the ride and when its time to cook em they have a nice zip to them!
Old 02-19-2012, 11:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just posted this in another thread on here :P

My favorite, and easy to make. Make aluminum foil bags, chop up potatoes, carrots, onions, tomatoes, cellery throw in bag on top of chicken (normally breast and thigh), you can burry with some coals from your fire (about 30-35 min) or put them on the grill (a little over an hour), and viola! A whole meal cooked in a bag with very little work. You can also substitute squirrel in this, that was the first way I ever had this, and by far the best.

Other than that I keep it pretty easy, steak, burgers, dogs, and I'll do venison one night usually.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:58 AM
JK Freak

A hearty breakfast when camping is our tradition- usually the wife or my father makes 15-20 flapjacks, fried eggs /goats cheese, 3/4 oz steak bites with green chile. For lunch- Cans of tuna/Chicken and a fork, left over pizza from the drive there, dinner is usually smores, marshmallows, Beer, more beer... Usually forget to eat Dinner.

Quick Reply: what do you eat?