Notices
Central Canada If you live in the Ontario or Quebec area of Canada and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Hit and Run

Old 09-21-2008, 05:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hit and Run

So I have my JK parked on the street in front of the inlaws and a ring comes at the door. Someone wants to talk to me about my jeep. Turns out the neighbour saw the guy down the street hit my parked JK with his BMW, get out, look at the damage, turns to her and says "Oh well, good thing it was just a jeep, but I guess my headlight is totalled". Gets back in his car and leaves. I can't freakin believe it. Damage isn't too bad but considering it's only 4 weeks old, I want a new bumper. He dented in the plastic and bent the metal underneath. I called the police who came and took a report and spoke with the witness, the guy who hit me hadn't come back home yet so the office left her card in his front door to call her.

A few questions for you guys who may have been through this before. If the guy decides to be a jerk and I have to go through insurance, how can I use the proceeds for what would be a replacement JK bumper for an aftermarket one? Do I take it to a bodyshop (not a dealership) have them quote me for stock bumper then buy something else on my own? Doesn't the insurance company pay the bodyshop directly? Anyone know what a stock front bumper from a dealer goes for? Finally, I have $500 deductible, do I have to pay that regardless with this stupid no fault insurance, or since it was his fault and a hit and run, I don't pay the deductible?
Old 09-22-2008, 04:03 AM
JK Freak

Don't use your 500$ deductible. Used stock bumpers are cheaper than 500$

I think you can negociate with the guy; he can pay this small amount...

A hit and run is very serious, this guy can have big trouble with the cops.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah, I wouldn't use my deductible for a stock one if I went that route. Hoping to at least get something for my troubles and upgrade to an aftermarket bumper. Called the dealership and to get a factory bumper (plastic cover plus rebar which he bent) comes in at $642 plus tax and install. I know someone who has a Rampage bumper for $500. It wasn't my first choice, but it's not bad, especially at that price. If I can get $650 cash from him out of it, I can get the bumper and a set of the mopar windshield brackets with some lights.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

man thats sux
in the winter when he is stuck drive by and tell him $500 cash to be towed out ....pulll pull harder...lol
or pull up beside and laugh and say it is just a BMW.

and bake a batch of cookies for the witnesses help that was really good they came forward like that. just as a thank you gesture.

i would walk up to him tell him to pay cahse or ur going to insurance and then his rates will go up onto of the ticket he may or may not get...

good luck
Old 09-22-2008, 12:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Going to bring the witness a couple of bottles of wine next time I go by. He decided to go through insurance, said he has special coverage and that the first accident won't cost him anything and rates won't increase as long as he doesn't have another one in 2 years. Estimate from the dealership comes to $1000 with taxes and labour. Talked to a performance shop around here who does some insurance work, they said they would do up the paperwork for the insurance company for a stock bumper around the same quote as the dealership, then let me put it towards whatever bumper I want. I know they're distributors for OMIX-ADA, so I could get a Rugged Ridge or Bestop bumper, going to see what else they can get in.
Old 09-22-2008, 03:26 PM
JK Freak

Looks like a great way to get hit!!!

If things go south and you need a stock front, I have one that can be wrapped and shipped.

Cheers.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:01 PM
JK Super Freak

me personally i would hit him back

but that is just me
Old 10-03-2008, 05:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Take him for everything and hopefully the cops charge this AHole with something really good!
Old 10-03-2008, 06:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah, since the damage was over 1000.00 it is manditory that he report it. I hope the cop gives him a tag for failing to report the collision. Even if he has accident forgiveness on his policy, (I have the same on mine), if he gets done for the traffic charge, his rates will go up. Especially a fail to report.

Even with accident forgiveness, if he gets the tag, he looses any discount he might have had for having a clean driving record, then htey will jack his rates for failing to report the collision.

As long as you dont get boned by your own insurance company, you should do okay regardless if he gets the ticket or not.

Cheers

Marc
Old 10-03-2008, 06:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

That guy deserves to fry. It is sad the dishonesty these days and people's lack of respect for others and their property.

Quick Reply: Hit and Run