Notices
Central Canada If you live in the Ontario or Quebec area of Canada and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Ever have a rear brake caliper fall off?

Old 01-10-2011, 04:53 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Octo
It took almost a week to get my Jeep repaired and back to me, but now I may have another problem.

Yesterday on the way to work and the way home within about 2-3 minutes of starting to drive I get a single "bing" from the Jeep, but no error codes and no lights on the dash.

Any suggestions? I have a 6 speed.
What kind of "bing"?

Where does the sound comes from? Transmission? engine? suspension? brakes?
Old 01-10-2011, 06:13 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JKU Rubicon
What kind of "bing"?

Where does the sound comes from? Transmission? engine? suspension? brakes?
try computer hence why he said

"Yesterday on the way to work and the way home within about 2-3 minutes of starting to drive I get a single "bing" from the Jeep, but no error codes and no lights on the dash."

because of the bing he heard he was expecting an error code or dash light, like tpms or something to be.... same thing with me
Old 01-10-2011, 06:59 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by morticon
try computer hence why he said

"Yesterday on the way to work and the way home within about 2-3 minutes of starting to drive I get a single "bing" from the Jeep, but no error codes and no lights on the dash."

because of the bing he heard he was expecting an error code or dash light, like tpms or something to be.... same thing with me
Okay sorry; "bing" in French is a noise, but "ding" is what you are talking about...

Me too. Maybe each 2 weeks, I here this single "ding" for no reason... about 2 or 3 minutes. Just like your Jeep.

Maybe the seat belts?

Last edited by JKU Rubicon; 01-10-2011 at 07:03 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

ding, bing, beep or what ever you want to call it, it is originating from the electronics on the Jeep.

I hooked up my OBD-II scanner and it indicated no errors as well. However today I had two quick dings on my way to work and on the way home. I have to go in and get the re-call completed soon, so I will have to ask the dealership if they can tell me anything.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:27 AM
JK Freak

Thanks

I'm waiting for your updates
Old 01-12-2011, 04:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think I found the source of my mystery chime. I did some googling, found some other forums and saw something that could possible explain the mystery chime.

Just before I left on a Xmas road trip I checked the engine in my Jeep and topped up the oil, it was a bit low. Yesterday I checked the oil and it wasn't showing on the dip stick, I drove about 2500 km in 2 weeks on my road trip. On the way to the nearest gas station I got the mystery chime again, I added a couple of litres of oil and checked it this morning. I am still down oil, however no more mystery chimes.

I am going to write an email to dodge/chrysler and indicate my dissatisfaction with this event. Oil low enough not to show on the dipstick causes a mystery chime, but no error codes and the oil light never comes on, simply unacceptable.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:00 AM
JK Freak

I have the same "ding" sometimes, and my oil is always at the "full" line

Quick Reply: Ever have a rear brake caliper fall off?