Notices
Central Canada If you live in the Ontario or Quebec area of Canada and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Ever have a rear brake caliper fall off?

Old 01-02-2011, 09:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ever have a rear brake caliper fall off?

I was driving home to Ottawa from New Brunswick the other day and somewhere along Quebec Highway 185 I heard a slight metallic thunk from the rear and didn't think too much of it. I got on highway 20 and set my cruise control at just over 100kph. I noticed that a lot of people passing me were turning and staring at my Jeep, but not one person made any sort of gesture to me.

After a few minutes of this I pulled off into a rest stop and when I hit my brakes, the pedal went to the floor, put I was able to gear down and safely stop. When I got out I found my left rear brake caliper hanging on its hose, the pads were gone and the piston was fully extended. I didn't have any tools so I tied up the caliper and got back on the highway and stopped at the first Canadian Tire. I bought a C-Clamp to prevent any more movement on the caliper and filled my brake fluid reservoir. I then had partial brakes so I took my time to get back to Ottawa.

I changed my rear brakes myself about 5 months ago and no-one else has touched the Jeep since then. I guess next time I will have to re-check my torque after a month or two to ensure that this doesn't happen again.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:15 AM
JK Super Freak

wow thats crazy, glad that you didnt get hurt. I cant imagine that happening, it would be scary.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Gotta love how no one gestured, people these days, glad you are ok.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:07 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by BOOST
Gotta love how no one gestured, people these days, glad you are ok.
If it is any consolation I am sure he blew Dot 3 all over their vehicles
Old 01-03-2011, 05:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm sure that if I had a Quebec plate I would have gotten more respect, but I had an Ontario plate.

I think I'll do an experiment, when I get the Jeep fixed, I will hold onto the old caliper, attach it to the underside of the Jeep in the same location it was hanging and go for a drive in Ontario and see if I get any more respect.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:09 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Octo
I'm sure that if I had a Quebec plate I would have gotten more respect, but I had an Ontario plate.
WTH are you talking about?
Quebec, Ontario or New Brunswick; this is the kind of thing that the drivers can't see under the vehicule while they are driving in the traffic.
Come on !!!
Old 01-05-2011, 05:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKU Rubicon
WTH are you talking about?
Quebec, Ontario or New Brunswick; this is the kind of thing that the drivers can't see under the vehicule while they are driving in the traffic.
Come on !!!
Go out to your Jeep, disconnect one of the rear calipers and then hang it on the hose. It hangs about 10-15 cm in from the wheel and it is quite obvious that it shouldn't be there. I had lots of passengers turning and looking at my Jeep as they went past, but no one waved or pointed.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

It took almost a week to get my Jeep repaired and back to me, but now I may have another problem.

Yesterday on the way to work and the way home within about 2-3 minutes of starting to drive I get a single "bing" from the Jeep, but no error codes and no lights on the dash.

Any suggestions? I have a 6 speed.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:37 PM
JK Freak

i get the same bing sound... and sometimes its two.... if anybody knows i would like the answer as well
Old 01-09-2011, 05:11 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Octo
Go out to your Jeep, disconnect one of the rear calipers and then hang it on the hose. It hangs about 10-15 cm in from the wheel and it is quite obvious that it shouldn't be there. I had lots of passengers turning and looking at my Jeep as they went past, but no one waved or pointed.
Hopefully, they were just admiring your JEEP!

Quick Reply: Ever have a rear brake caliper fall off?