Notices
Camping & Hiking General discussion forum regarding all things camping or hiking including hiking trails, great places to camp, camping or hiking gear and anything related to hiking or camping.

Jeep Camper

Old 04-08-2011 | 07:40 AM
JK Freak

I broke my back a year and a half ago, I am pretty much all healed up but sleeping on the ground sucks ass. And trying to camp in a 2 door with two big dogs is next to impossible. I have never looked at that trailer but I did buy a Kamparoo last summer. This thing is awesome, 800lbs dry, can haul over 400lbs on the racks. And lots of storage inside. No regrets
Old 04-08-2011 | 08:24 AM
JK Jedi Master
Veteran: Air ForceFJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by goaterguy
If I were to build my own trailer, where would I get the tent part? Is there an universal fitting one or it has to be custom built?
Google "overlanding tents".
Old 04-08-2011 | 12:12 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Super1
I like the Jeep campers and concept camper but I can’t imagine every buying one. Sure, it’s cool. But when it’s all said and done, a nice tent will do the same thing for a lot less money and hassle.
Originally Posted by 2vpblaze
On a side note though, I have seen a couple people make their own. They just took a old trailer, something like a m101 trailer and start from there. Thats what I have been thinking about getting started. Would be a lot cheaper then dropping ten grand.....
Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Assuming it's not for health reasons, I've never been able to figure out what's wrong with sleeping on the ground.
Yes tents are cheaper. The hassle part I guess really depends on you. My roof top tent takes less than 1 min to setup. I can setup camp and head off in 10 mins. Which is what I like. Some like spending all day setting up. It's easy to leave all my gear in the trailer, park it and lock it up if need be. Everytime we go, I just take a quick look, kick the tires, hookup, and leave. The things so little I don't have parking issues and pulling it's a breeze. It's simple and what I like. To each thier own.

I built my own out of an old WW2 Jeep trailer (M416). I love it. Being able to pack everything in it and the ease of setting up camp is great! I'm still the camping guy that don't mind sleeping on the ground but there's been plenty of times the ground was just a little rough or wet and didn't feel like making a day out of padding underneath.
The little trailer is nothing to pull and easy to just unhook from and leave at camp, all setup. It'll go anywhere!
Plus. It's just a project that I love to work on. No big deal really. Just different.

There are plenty of things that don't really make sense to anyone else but the person doing it. I for instance cannot see why someone would carry an extra 10 gallons of gas with them. I carry and extra 3 gallons and have never needed it. I've been on some crazy trips with my Ol'Man. We ran out of gas once and 3 gallons would have fixed it. I've used gas in my cooking stove, but at the most a pints worth. Don't know don't care. As long as it makes sense to you is all that matters.

This picture was the first run for the little trailer. The first night was camping at Devils Den then this night at Roaring River.

Old 04-08-2011 | 12:14 PM
JK Jedi Master
Veteran: Air ForceFJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by jeepersjeep

Yes tents are cheaper. The hassle part I guess really depends on you. My roof top tent takes less than 1 min to setup. I can setup camp and head off in 10 mins. Which is what I like. Some like spending all day setting up. It's easy to leave all my gear in the trailer, park it and lock it up if need be. Everytime we go, I just take a quick look, kick the tires, hookup, and leave. The things so little I don't have parking issues and pulling it's a breeze. It's simple and what I like. To each thier own.

I built my own out of an old WW2 Jeep trailer (M416). I love it. Being able to pack everything in it and the ease of setting up camp is great! I'm still the camping guy that don't mind sleeping on the ground but there's been plenty of times the ground was just a little rough or wet and didn't feel like making a day out of padding underneath.
The little trailer is nothing to pull and easy to just unhook from and leave at camp, all setup. It'll go anywhere!
Plus. It's just a project that I love to work on. No big deal really. Just different.

There are plenty of things that don't really make sense to anyone else but the person doing it. I for instance cannot see why someone would carry an extra 10 gallons of gas with them. I carry and extra 3 gallons and have never needed it. I've been on some crazy trips with my Ol'Man. We ran out of gas once and 3 gallons would have fixed it. I've used gas in my cooking stove, but at the most a pints worth. Don't know don't care. As long as it makes sense to you is all that matters.

This picture was the first run for the little trailer. The first night was camping at Devils Den then this night at Roaring River.

Old 04-08-2011 | 02:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

What do most people use for the flooring under their tents when they prop them up like that on a trailer? Sheet metal? Wood seems like it would warp, splinter, and fail over a short time, so was curious what was a good light alternative?
Old 04-08-2011 | 03:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Flaxbourton
I am pretty much convinced that the jeep top campers are a bad idea, since you would have to pack it all up every single day.
Good one I never thought of that. Still like the look though.
Found this picture on the web of a 2009 Jeep Wrangler Overland by Mopar.

Old 04-08-2011 | 03:27 PM
JK Freak

What do most people use for the flooring under their tents when they prop them up like that on a trailer? Sheet metal? Wood seems like it would warp, splinter, and fail over a short time, so was curious what was a good light alternative?
It's actually part of the tent. You buy it like that. It's wood and aluminum.
It all folds together kinda like a pop up book.
Old 04-08-2011 | 04:58 PM
JK Freak
Veteran: Air Force

Default JK Habitat

I like this one from AT.

Old 04-09-2011 | 05:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeepersjeep
It's actually part of the tent. You buy it like that. It's wood and aluminum.
It all folds together kinda like a pop up book.
Ahh, lol, gotcha. I thought for the trailer pulled tents, most people were taking a normal tent and just fitting it with a floor to work on a trailer.
Old 04-09-2011 | 05:13 AM
JK Freak

Ahh, lol, gotcha. I thought for the trailer pulled tents, most people were taking a normal tent and just fitting it with a floor to work on a trailer.
I thought the same thing. I thought about trying to build one like that.

Quick Reply: Jeep Camper