Notices
Camping & Hiking General discussion forum regarding all things camping or hiking including hiking trails, great places to camp, camping or hiking gear and anything related to hiking or camping.

Jeep Camper

Old 04-07-2011 | 11:00 AM
JK Newbie

Default Jeep Camper

I like the Jeep campers and concept camper but I can’t imagine every buying one. Sure, it’s cool. But when it’s all said and done, a nice tent will do the same thing for a lot less money and hassle.

Old 04-07-2011 | 11:20 AM
JK Freak

They are very nice. Once you win the lottery they would be perfect. On a side note though, I have seen a couple people make their own. They just took a old trailer, something like a m101 trailer and start from there. Thats what I have been thinking about getting started. Would be a lot cheaper then dropping ten grand.....
Old 04-07-2011 | 06:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

I am pretty much convinced that the jeep top campers are a bad idea, since you would have to pack it all up every single day. Can you imagine a 3 or 4 day weekend where you have to pack all your crap up every morning before going out on the trail.
The trailer tents however, I think are a fantastic idea. Get everybody up off the ground, especially with young kids. Plus the added benefit of all the other stuff you can carry in the trailer.

Below is one thread that had several rooftop mounted tent options. The one you linked is incredibly expensive compared to most of the options out there if that is the route you are wanting to take.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...highlight=tent
Old 04-07-2011 | 06:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

The jeep trailer in my opinion is pretty cool. Believe me if i had the spare $$ for that thing i would be all over it. Never gonna happen though..

As for the roof tents, those are pretty cool too, but like the above guy stated im sure they would be a big hassle to pack up everyday. But the idea is pretty cool.
Old 04-07-2011 | 07:17 PM
JK Junkie

Anyone bother looking closer at the rubicon in the pic? I wonder how that rear tire is gonna clear that rock rail under flex.

Also, there is no way that front wheel clears the body when turning under flex.

Nice poser pic however.

Did I mention that those jeep trailers run about 12k?

Wow!!
Old 04-08-2011 | 12:30 AM
JK Jedi Master
Veteran: Air ForceFJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Flaxbourton
... Get everybody up off the ground, especially with young kids. Plus the added benefit of all the other stuff you can carry in the trailer....
Assuming it's not for health reasons, I've never been able to figure out what's wrong with sleeping on the ground.

Old 04-08-2011 | 03:19 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Assuming it's not for health reasons, I've never been able to figure out what's wrong with sleeping on the ground.
Is it a good reason ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnRE0FUvDoI
Old 04-08-2011 | 06:08 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by BKGM Jeepers
Anyone bother looking closer at the rubicon in the pic? I wonder how that rear tire is gonna clear that rock rail under flex.
Good catch...I didn't notice that at first. That's gonna be a problem.
Old 04-08-2011 | 07:06 AM
JK Jedi Master
Veteran: Air ForceFJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by JKU Rubicon
There are precautions for camping in bear country--anyone doing so should learn them. I would not consider being off the ground much protection. In fact, I'd consider it the opposite if it involves being on top or near your Jeep because a bear may very well be attracted to your Jeep from the McDonalds' French Fry that got dropped under the seat last month. They have very sensitive smell, and are very curious when they smell something strange. Batteries, toothpaste, food (duh!), film (okay, not something many folks carry anymore), deodorant, foot powder, chapstick, water bottles used for other than water (Gatorade, etc), and on and on have all been suspected to provoke bear/human encounters. The best protection is to use gear that has strictly controlled when around "smellables", and to store all smellables in an approved bear container. Sleeping on top of your Jeep runs contrary to that unless you're very careful about what you allow in/around your Jeep. You might as well carry a bear fence with you (ht tp://www.udap.com/bearshock.htm).
Old 04-08-2011 | 07:35 AM
JK Freak

If I were to build my own trailer, where would I get the tent part? Is there an universal fitting one or it has to be custom built?

Quick Reply: Jeep Camper