Notices
Boating & Fishing General discussion forum regarding all forms of boating including motor boats, sailboats and all things fishing including fly fishing, deep sea fishing, fishing gear and great places to fish.

Homemade kayak rack for pop-up camper?

Old 06-05-2010, 04:08 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Homemade kayak rack for pop-up camper?

Has anyone made a kayak rack for a pop-up camper? My idea is to use (2) 2x4s - 1 in the front and 1 in the back across the width, screw in eye bolts (8) to carry 2 kayaks, then an eye bolt at the bottom of each 2x4 and secure the 2x4 to the bottom of the pop-up) load the kayaks, attach with a rubber bungee, tie down in the front. Anyone try this? Any ideas for a homemade rack without drilling into the camper? Thanks
Old 06-05-2010, 06:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

That would probably work. I don't know how sturdy those roofs are. Since you're not really fastening anything to the roof, you're going to need a fair amount of downward pressure to make sure the 2x4's don't move. Not only would you have the weight of the kayaks (100lbs. or so), you'll have a similar amount of tie down pressure which would be over 200lbs. on the roof. But it sounds like it would work.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default go for it

i have a custom canoe rack on the top of my pop-up and it is aluminum tube attached all the way through the top with reinforcement plates on either side of u-bolts. the pop-up roofs can handle a kayak for fun...
Old 06-06-2010, 07:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

We had a pop-up two years ago before moving up to a 26' travel trailer. I just put two of the dense foam kayak blocks directly on top of the roof and then strapped the kayak down to the roof. I ran the ratchet straps over the top of the kayak and hooked them to the bottom frame of the pop-up. My pop-up had an A/C unit on the roof, the kayak was up against it so to protect everything I put a cheap camping foam bed mat between the two. Just be careful that the ratchet doesn't chaffe the side of the camper. Happy camping/kayaking!
Old 05-22-2023, 07:45 PM
JK Newbie

I have done a DIY vertical kayak rack for RV, the rack will be attached to the bumper. I used 2 x 4’’ wood pieces as the top and bottom of the stanchions. Attach the aluminum channels to them and secure everything with bolts and clamps. And using 2 x 12 inches wooden boards to build the kayak pads.

Last edited by daltonbourne07; 06-02-2023 at 08:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Homemade kayak rack for pop-up camper?