Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

cams to adj. lower contol arms

Old 12-12-2008, 08:55 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cams to adj. lower contol arms

How many people have installed the cam bolts and then went to adjustable lower contol arms later? Did you notice a big difference?
Old 12-12-2008, 09:04 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Britt you are driving your self crazy with this!

Get those front lowers on get everything adjusted right and you will be good to go.

There is 1000's of jeeps with 4" lift kits that drive down the road perfectly.

David
Old 12-12-2008, 09:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

I don't think you want to do that... to use cam bolts you actually have to cut the whole in the existing mount bigger. Scary
Old 12-12-2008, 09:11 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by noot
I don't think you want to do that... to use cam bolts you actually have to cut the whole in the existing mount bigger. Scary
problem is, he already has cam bolts installed and that's why he's asking.

as david said, you really just need to do what you can and that's install adjustable control arms and address your track bar and pitman arm/drag link.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm moving from Cam bolts to adjustable arms... but I'm havin a shop do it most likely. I'm tired of my cam bolts shift around. My steering wheel tends to jump around on me when I hit bumps... and that's not fun. I've been told it's largely because my caster is off. I've heard of plenty of people havin the cam bolts work just fine for them, but mine keep playing too much. I've retorqued 'em about a billion times... and am just tired of it. I think my route will be getting new axle side brackets from rusty's, having them welded on, and adjustable arms installed. Might do long arm while I'm at it. Hope you have good luck with your transition.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:55 AM
JK Junkie

Im just curious to see how many people have gone from cams to adjable arms. I got my Teralfex arms today. Im trying to find someone to weld up the cam holes and install them.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:18 PM
jpp
JK Enthusiast

I just use a square washer like this post below. Doesn't move around at all for me. You can take a large washer and file the edges so it will fit in between the nubs that hold the cam bolts. Unlike Cam bolts, the washer cannot move around. You could have it welded as well, I suppose. But it is really isn't necessary.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...=budget+caster
Old 12-12-2008, 04:27 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jpp
I just use a square washer like this post below. Doesn't move around at all for me. You can take a large washer and file the edges so it will fit in between the nubs that hold the cam bolts. Unlike Cam bolts, the washer cannot move around. You could have it welded as well, I suppose. But it is really isn't necessary.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...=budget+caster
LOL!! that ain't such a bad idea - good job!
Old 12-12-2008, 05:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same Superlift 4” like Kntr, with cam bolts. I drove my Rubicon 08 4dr running on 32” MTR Goodyear and everything was well. Recently I changed to 34” MTR Goodyear and I started to “feel” the rugged of the way and in some cases I felt like if I loose the control of the vehicle.

I had been very interested reading this thread and the others about Superlift help and something wrong with Front Lower Arms. I am almost convinced to change my cam bolts to FLA.

Kntr, now you have yours FLA, if you “feel” some improve in your vehicle, please let us know.

Quick Reply: cams to adj. lower contol arms