Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Running power wires, and coax etc.

Old 04-28-2007, 12:03 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running power wires, and coax etc.

Hi Guys...
Thought I would throw my 2 cents in on routing power wires and coax thru into the engine bay etc.

Pop the side panel off (left or right) on the dash.. Look forward and see a round hole filled with foam..

Take a Phillips screw driver and wiggle it around in there and push it threw until you feel it come out the other side..
Then you can pull wires thru without drilling the firewall etc.
If anyones interested in pictures, please go to "my" gallery, and you should be able to see pic's there..

EDIT: link to "My Gallery".... http://my.project-jk.com/showgallery.php?cat=624

I have mine wired for a VHF and a CB with a Arizoniarockyroad overhead mount..

Last edited by captsam54; 05-12-2007 at 04:52 AM.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by captsam54
Hi Guys...
Thought I would throw my 2 cents in on routing power wires and coax thru into the engine bay etc.

Pop the side panel off (left or right) on the dash.. Look forward and see a round hole filled with foam..

Take a Phillips screw driver and wiggle it around in there and push it threw until you feel it come out the other side..
If anyones interested in pictures, please Pm me and I will be glad to email you pic's of my setup..
Too much work IMO....look at my option. See what you think.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:03 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ClownBaby
Too much work IMO....look at my option. See what you think.
OK, got a link to it??
Old 05-05-2007, 10:19 AM
JK Newbie

Default pics ????

do u have pics ?
Old 05-05-2007, 10:21 AM
JK Newbie

can't find your pics
Old 05-05-2007, 10:45 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JEEPSUW
can't find your pics
Who's pic's, mine or ClownBabys????
Mine are on My Gallery pic's..
I haven't see ClownBaby's...
Old 05-08-2007, 12:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

I spent a good 60 minutes trying to find a way into the interior without drilling or destroying. I ended up popping the wiring harness seal INTO the interior which runs through the firewall just under the battery. You have to crawl underneath to see it, it's behind the front inner plastic fender. I then wrapped the XM antenna wire with a couple layers of electrica tape, then popped the seal back in place. It pinches the antenna wire, but not enough to damage it, and it's working great. This would not work for anything over, say, 14 gauge.

Still looking for a better way, will look at the foam holes later when I wire the Painless Wiring 7-circuit fuse panel under the passenger dash.

Tom
Bryson City, NC
Old 05-08-2007, 12:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Oh man! Crap....sorry I haven't been following the thread

Here's my link.... https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-electrical-lighting-sound-systems-13/found-easy-wire-access-engine-bay-7299/
Old 05-08-2007, 12:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by captsam54
Hi Guys...

If anyones interested in pictures, please go to "my" gallery, and you should be able to see pic's there..
Great find, I used it wiring up my CB the other day. If not for that, I would have had to use where I ran all the rest of my wire through, the unused clutch hole, and that would have meant extended wiring.

Thanks!!!
Old 05-08-2007, 02:01 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by SpudRacer
I spent a good 60 minutes trying to find a way into the interior without drilling or destroying. I ended up popping the wiring harness seal INTO the interior which runs through the firewall just under the battery. You have to crawl underneath to see it, it's behind the front inner plastic fender. I then wrapped the XM antenna wire with a couple layers of electrica tape, then popped the seal back in place. It pinches the antenna wire, but not enough to damage it, and it's working great. This would not work for anything over, say, 14 gauge.

Still looking for a better way, will look at the foam holes later when I wire the Painless Wiring 7-circuit fuse panel under the passenger dash.

Tom
Bryson City, NC
I accidently popped out the wiring harness rubber plug when poking around for wiring access.. Made sure I put it back correctly so no water intrusion into the passenger footwell..

I like that painless wiring and will be doing that for future use.. Already ran the power thru to behing the glove box..

Quick Reply: Running power wires, and coax etc.