Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Tried to Lower Sunrider Soft Top But Couldn't

Old 02-03-2007, 10:14 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tried to Lower Sunrider Soft Top But Couldn't

Tried yesterday to lower, sunrider style, the soft top on my new Flame Red Unlimited Rubicon. Followed the directions in the writeup on this forum, and also in the owners' manual. But man, all I could do was unlatch the front latches and swing the sunvisors out of the way. Couldn't do anything else - worried that I would separate the top from the frame, so I stopped and lowered the windows instead. :toung:

Any tips or hints?

Patriot
Old 02-03-2007, 11:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Did you pop the little plastic channels out of the door frame on both sides?

You have to kind of start in the middle near the intersection of the two doors, there's a 1.5" tab that you need to get your finger up under and sort of roll it down and away from the frame. This will make it easier to do the same for the channels over the doors...

The only other thing to look out for is a pair of clips on the inside bars that lock the fore and aft halves of the sunrider mechanism together when it's closed, but these usually release themselves for me when I start to lift from the front.

Hope this helps -- not exactly sure where you are getting stuck if you're following the writeups. Maybe you can link it and say a specific step?
Old 02-05-2007, 11:55 AM
JK Newbie

mmcurdy:

I'm getting hung up here: "You have to kind of start in the middle near the intersection of the two doors, there's a 1.5" tab that you need to get your finger up under and sort of roll it down and away from the frame. This will make it easier to do the same for the channels over the doors..."

Could you elaborate? Did you go by the directions in the owners' manual (which tries to depict this step) or the writeup in this forum?

Patriot
Old 02-05-2007, 12:06 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't worry about breaking anything-- it's really tight, especially the first few times. Just stick your finger or a screwdriver in the little opening in the center between the two doors and pull for dear life until the plastic tabs fold out from underneath the frame.

I'll try to post a pic later tonight if you are still having problems. Jeep's in the shop right now having it's creaky door looked at
Old 02-05-2007, 12:10 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by doojer
I'll try to post a pic later tonight if you are still having problems. Jeep's in the shop right now having it's creaky door looked at
Great. I'll wait for your picture showing exactly where I'm supposed to insert my finger/screwdriver (doesn't sound right, I know).

Patriot
Old 02-05-2007, 12:28 PM
JK Newbie

Hey don't feel bad! I got stuck here as well!

Please post some pics when you can. The manual isn't clear about this!

Thanks!
Old 02-05-2007, 01:50 PM
JK Newbie

Default DANGER, DANGER Will Robinson!!

Upon delivery of the vehicle, I asked the salesman to show me how to take the top back to the sunrider position and because the plastic tab was not taken out above the back the doors (as well as the front doors), the top ripped. Thankfully the sales manager was standing there when that happened. :sad:

Point is....wait for the pic that doojer said could get and don't forget about the part above the rear door.......I found the pictures here very helpful - http://project-jk.com/index.php/?p=32

The plastic tabs are very difficult to get out the first couple of times.

The issue I have is in sunrider mode the fabric seems to drape down into the passenger seat section??
Old 02-05-2007, 04:02 PM
JK Newbie

I tried for ever to find those plastic tabs and CAN'T! Any PICS would be great!
Old 02-05-2007, 04:12 PM
JK Jedi

I'll have them up tonight.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:51 PM
JK Jedi

Talking The "missing step"

Okay, I think this is what you guys are looking for.

Watch this video

You want to do what I do in the video to both sides (towards the back like in the video and towards the windhield, too.)

Here are pics:

Quick Reply: Tried to Lower Sunrider Soft Top But Couldn't