Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Gun Scabbard Write Up

Old 12-12-2008, 07:06 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gun Scabbard Write Up

Ok, this is my first write up, so I hope it goes well.

Years ago, when I first drove a CJ-5, there was no place to put a conventional gun rack. I made one out of 2" (inside diameter) PVC pipe and used it in the old horseback style scabbard. I adjusted it to fit in the JK. It works great!

*NOTE* This is the old one from years ago. I installed it late Friday night to be ready for hunting on saturday morning. I need to dismantle it and paint everything black, so pay no attention to the scruffy appearance!

First, I cut a piece of PVC pipe to about 20" and cut some notches in it to fit the lever and then also the the receiver and the scope.

Then I purchased 4- 2" pipe/conduit clamps from Lowe's, and bolted them together to make 2 pairs, like such:

I spread one side of the clamp to fit on the roll bar, then clamped them to the roll bar . The first one is clamped just behind the speaker on the sound bar on the driver's side. The second one is clamped on the rear part of the roll bar where it starts to turn down. I rotated the clamps so the end of the gun barrel is between the rollbar and the window. This puts the scabbard at an angle so it will clear the B pillar part of the roll bar.

This enables me to pull the rifle while still sitting in the driver's seat and shooting out of the window (not that I would ever do such a thing!) It comes in real handy when on the farm for groundhogs and other varmints

I set this up for a Winchester 30-30, but it could be made for any gun. The notches are cut snug, once the gun is placed in the scabbard it needs a stiff pull to get it out.

I hope this helps those of you who hunt. My 14 y/o son has a great idea for a modification of this idea for the summer when the top is off to carry our fishing poles.

Last edited by bluerubicon08; 09-06-2009 at 04:50 PM.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Looks very creative, but the pics are super small. Can you make them bigger?
Old 12-12-2008, 07:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

good mod but i hope you only use it during hunting season and too and from your property
Old 12-12-2008, 07:41 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mattb2179
Looks very creative, but the pics are super small. Can you make them bigger?
I'm not sure how, I'm working on it
Old 12-13-2008, 08:13 PM
Ben
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Optus
good mod but i hope you only use it during hunting season and too and from your property
LoL you're from Maryland!
Old 12-13-2008, 08:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Pictures no worky.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:00 AM
JK Freak

I hope you get the pictures working, your post is the first on this subject I have seen. Years ago almost every Jeep would have a rifle rack. I think the last time I saw a Jeep with a rifle rack was about 4 years ago a old timer would often stop by our deer camp to shoot the breeze and sneak a snoot and have a smoke behind his wife's back.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:21 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Optus
hehehehe! ............................... Riiiight!
Old 12-15-2008, 02:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

That's interesting. I can't tell from the pics -- what keeps it in there when you stop?
Old 12-15-2008, 03:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

so if you have to slam the brakes...will it go through the windshield or hit you in the head?

Quick Reply: Gun Scabbard Write Up