Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Rock Lights installed

Old 10-29-2008, 06:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rock Lights installed

Just installed one set out of four sets of lights on my JK. For those of you who haven't seen it, I'm the guy that came up with the custom switch panel. See pictures of it here...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-show-tell-33/my-custom-switch-panel-58696/

I'm holding off on installing the other set of lights because they are KC lights and are a lot more money than the ones I picked up at Harbor Freight. I figured I'd install some rock lights since I'm adding so many lights to my JK. The lights I got at Harbor Freight were $12/each. I figured use some good but cheapies in case they get broke, I won't cry about it. I used these lights...

I originally thought of buying 4 of these to install under the Jeep but I'm glad I just went with two. They are 55W each so they are plenty bright, and taking in account the size of these lights I only found 2 great places to install them.

The front one was installed under the front passenger footwell...

The rear one was installed on the passenger side on top of the metal cap on the rear spring...

The rear one is the most guarded from getting hit by rocks or ripped off. The front one is close to an exhaust pipe, which gets hot, but it's far enough away that it doesn't melt the light itself.

The awesome thing about these 2 locations is each is directly next to a drain plug to bring the wire up into the cabin! The front one is next to the drain plug on the front passenger floorboard and the rear one is next to the tiny drainplug that is next to the bracket where the rear seat attaches to.

Probably the hardest part was figuring out which wire goes to which part of the switch (there was no indication of what went where). I could get the lights to work without the indicator light and vice versa. I forgot to ground the switch. Once that was done the switch works as it should.

Here's some pictures of the lights in action...

Old 10-29-2008, 07:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Schweet!!!
Old 10-29-2008, 07:07 PM
JK Newbie

those look very bright. nice job
Old 10-29-2008, 07:08 PM
JK Junkie

very nice, I did a set on mine as well, but went with smaller lights. Silver Bullet did a set with LED lights, he had 8 pods that had 15 LED's in each, it was a great set up, went night wheeling with him and spotting him was very easy.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:31 PM
JK Freak

Nice job, LOVE YOUR LICENSE PLATE
Old 10-30-2008, 08:25 AM
JK Freak

Those look great. I just installed some LED rock lights, as well. Photos of my set-up are here at post #43.

Originally Posted by scouter4life
very nice, I did a set on mine as well, but went with smaller lights. Silver Bullet did a set with LED lights, he had 8 pods that had 15 LED's in each, it was a great set up, went night wheeling with him and spotting him was very easy.
I, too, went night wheeling with a couple of guys who had rock lights and not only was spotting for them much easier, but the wheelin' photos of them were really great -- especially under a full moon.

Anyhow, nice job.

Ty...
Old 10-30-2008, 08:54 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you did a great job installing these. I don't want to burst your bubble, but i think the front lights should be in front of the tires, not behind them, this way it makes it a lot easier for someone to spot you. I've seen the location that you have in other jeeps, and while it is better than no lights, they don't work that well, unless you're only using them for repairs.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:03 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by robin
I think you did a great job installing these. I don't want to burst your bubble, but i think the front lights should be in front of the tires, not behind them, this way it makes it a lot easier for someone to spot you. I've seen the location that you have in other jeeps, and while it is better than no lights, they don't work that well, unless you're only using them for repairs.
agree, a light in front of each wheel is the best location if using four, but with just two You have pretty decent locations. You may want to get 2 more down the road though.
Old 10-31-2008, 02:27 AM
JK Jedi

Very cool, having done some night wheeling in Arizona I can definitely appreciate the use of those.
Old 10-31-2008, 05:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

That is very cool,and along with the light bracket very nice job

Quick Reply: Rock Lights installed