Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

$68 Summit Racing exhaust install

Old 07-16-2007, 08:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $68 Summit Racing exhaust install

This modification uses one Summit Racing glasspack muffler ($21.95) and two Walker mega – clamps ($13.99 each) to produce an inexpensive Cat-back style performance exhaust without having to weld. It is very easy to do and can be done in your driveway.

Modification time: 1 hour

Tools required:

15 mm socket
5/8 inch socket
Socket wrench
Torque wrench
Breaker bar
Sawzall with metal cutting blade

Parts required:
Glasspak muffler
Stainless steel band-style exhaust clamps (Lap Joint style)

Start by removing the factory muffler. Simply remove the nut on the stock clamp and work the muffler back and forth to remove from exhaust pipe. This may require the breaker bar to loosen the nut. Remove the muffler hangers from the vibration hanger brackets. I’m sure there is an easier way to remove them but I use the sawzall to cut of the tip so I could pull the hangers out of the rubber brackets to finish removing the muffler.

Stock muffler after removal

Exhaust pipe after factory muffler is removed.

Locate where you want to install the new Summit Racing glasspack.

Use the Summit Glasspack to mark the exhaust pipe and cut the exhaust pipe with the sawzall. Remember the exhaust pipe goes inside the glasspack so make sure you take that into consideration when marking where to cut the exhaust pipe.

Place the clamps onto the exhaust pipe.

Slide the glasspack onto the exhaust pipe with the inlet toward the engine and attach the clamps. The clamps should be centered on the glasspack and exhaust pipe.

Remove the paper from the clamp seal putty and torque the clamp bolts to 50 - 70 foot pounds.

Completed assembly

I did enlist my wife to approve of the sound test and I am proud to say my JK passed. It has a deep throaty sound without the “too fast too furious” rice burner tone. It has improved felt horsepower along with my CAI. Summit Racing estimates at lease 21 horse power increase with their products.

Last edited by rfrogman; 08-06-2007 at 05:45 AM.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:20 PM
JK Super Freak

damn man that looks good will put that on my do list that is getting longer every day.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:31 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by rfrogman
Summit Racing estimates at lease 21 horse power increase with their products.

No chance in hell...if you believe that...well, I have a bridge to sell you.

I do appreciate the write up and pics! Looks like this could be done with any muffler. Kudos for trying it!:toung:
Old 07-17-2007, 01:35 AM
JK Newbie

Good idea...I would like to see some type of a tailpipe too though.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spacenut
Good idea...I would like to see some type of a tailpipe too though.
I intend to extend the tail pipe. Summit carries a clamp to couple same size exhaust pipe together. Finding a tail pipe with a slight 30 degree bend may be a challenge and getting a muffler shop to extend it would cost more than the initial project.

I am thinking of thermal wrapping the glasspack or relocating the factory heat shield. The heat isn’t bad I just want to be cautious.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rugbyduck

No chance in hell...if you believe that...well, I have a bridge to sell
Summit did say estimate, and we all know how arbitrary estimates can be. A Straight thru glasspack has to give some increase over a heavily baffled factory muffler since it is lease restrictive.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:22 AM
JK Freak

Any sound clips? I could swing $30 this weekend but if it sounds like ass no way can I swing $500 + to have it fixed.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by drinkingmymilk
Any sound clips? I could swing $30 this weekend but if it sounds like ass no way can I swing $500 + to have it fixed.
I try to record one tonight. It may not do it justice only recording device I have is the built-in mic on a Dell laptop.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had a muffler shop bend a tail pipe after I tried running without any muffler. I was only charged $20 which I thoght was reasonable. Thats up here in Canada. It sounded like crap without a muffler so I had a Flo-Pro cut in a week later.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:43 PM
JK Freak

yes, please post a sound clip. i've only heard glasspacks once before on a v6 and it sounded horrible.

i doubt you got anywhere close to 21 HP out of that. maybe half that, but you can't really tell without a dyno run.

but this write-up definitely got me thinking which muffler?? which muffler??

Quick Reply: $68 Summit Racing exhaust install