Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

how to disable seatbelt chime? 2010 JK

Old 02-02-2011, 09:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NH-JK
I disabled mine.I followed the steps in a thread on the forum... Try s search.... I forget where I found it.

People just don't get it!!!

Let me try to explain the issue again,
When you disabling the belt chime, you only disabling it from chiming over and over as a reminder AFTER THE INITIAL CHIME, (that happened right after you turn the key switch!)
AND the INITIAL CHIME is what we try to disabled! (and NOT the chime reminder)
- In all normal cars the chime occurs when you shift out of park unbuckled, and in the JK it chime right after you turn the switch!

Now are we on the same page!?

Last edited by Classified.Spirit; 02-02-2011 at 02:12 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:09 PM
JK Freak

" I wear my belt, excepting rare occasions like in-and-outs messing w/ a trailer or just moving a vehicle a few feet. I don't really need the blessed thing nagging me, thanks.[/QUOTE]

i second this motion!
Old 02-03-2011, 04:16 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

asked dealer today about this 'initial chime' issue...
they said it cannot be fixed on a stock setup...
but...there may be aftermarket 'flash' software available...
that plugs into the diagnostic unit that would stop the chime...

dunno if i fancy that or not...
might just get that extra buckle... !!!
Old 02-03-2011, 07:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've also disconnected the continuous reminder, as I just don't like wearing the dang belt. And...the instructions ARE in the manual. I still get the 5 pings when I first start it up, but I can live with those.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

One of the best things you can do! I wear my seat belt but hate that damn chime
Old 04-03-2011, 01:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cybersymes

there's always the classic 'scrapyard fix'...
get an old belt...cut off the buckle...
pop it in the clip as you leave the jeepster...
then it'll be 'buckled-upp' when you return...no chime...

then when you get ready to pull away...swap for buckle/belt...
having already done the chime fix for driving chime silence...

easy fix...lotsa words... !!!
Way to much effort when you can just disable
Old 06-14-2011, 06:52 PM
JK Newbie

Default Aluminum Foil

Ok so you need help but you can't tell those that are trying to help you straight up that they don't understand otherwise people won't want to help! Having said that here you are: There is a plug under the Driver's Side seat it should be the only one there and it goes from a harness to the seat belt receptacle and it validates when a seat belt is plugged into the receptacle. I rolled up a ball of aluminium foil and placed it into the side that has the male prongs so that it touched all four prongs simultaneously. It not only stops the initial Chime, any follow up chime if you haven't put on your seat belt, AND it also turns off the little seat belt warning light on the dash.... By the way I'm giving props to this Jeep Shop: http://jeepspeedshop.com

They are pretty cool people and are putting some HUGE engines in. I just about drooled when they showed me some of the JKs they had just put them in, They looked factory installed everything was super clean..

Wear your seat belt!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	PicJK.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	171878  
Old 06-15-2011, 03:23 AM
JK Super Freak

I always wear my seatbelt, but can't stand the chime. If I could figure where the chime is when the key is in the ingnition and the door is oppen I would rip it out in a heart beat!!!!!
Old 06-15-2011, 04:11 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mirr_1999
Ok so you need help but you can't tell those that are trying to help you straight up that they don't understand otherwise people won't want to help! Having said that here you are: There is a plug under the Driver's Side seat it should be the only one there and it goes from a harness to the seat belt receptacle and it validates when a seat belt is plugged into the receptacle. I rolled up a ball of aluminium foil and placed it into the side that has the male prongs so that it touched all four prongs simultaneously. It not only stops the initial Chime, any follow up chime if you haven't put on your seat belt, AND it also turns off the little seat belt warning light on the dash.... By the way I'm giving props to this Jeep Shop: http://jeepspeedshop.com

They are pretty cool people and are putting some HUGE engines in. I just about drooled when they showed me some of the JKs they had just put them in, They looked factory installed everything was super clean..

Wear your seat belt!
That is a brilliant mod, well done and thanks. The plug looks slightly different on my 07 (2 pins instead of 4) but the effect of putting in some tin foil is identical. No more chimes at start up or after and the light goes off exactly as you said.

I personally wear my seatbelt religiously so being nagged at start up to put it on is redundant and quite annoying. PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!
Old 06-15-2011, 06:57 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone know if this solution might affect the correct activation of the driver's side airbag in the event of a collision?

Quick Reply: how to disable seatbelt chime? 2010 JK