Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Teraflex Rock Guards.....

Old 03-13-2008, 07:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Teraflex Rock Guards.....

Hey guys,

I started installing these yesterday and when I went to install the inserts, they just slid in. I didn't have to use the "install" tool. I did use the right size drill bit and drilled it strait... but the rockguards won't hold tight to the side of the jeep... anyone else have any ideas. I'm gonna head to a shop today to get some larger inserts, but I was wondering if anyone else encountered anything like this... thanks guys! Will post pics when done.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

You HAVE to use the sert tool. This compressed the sert nut which mushrooms it out to really grab the sheet metal. This prevents it from spinning while tightening the bolts and from pulling out because it has large bulge behind the sheet metal.

Check out this animation

http://www.enfasco.com/frame4.htm
Old 03-13-2008, 08:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

I used just a socket wrench and I believe I turn it about 20 1/4 turns so 5 full turns should secure it. You don't what to tighten the insert nut too much, but with a hand wrench you can fell when it starts to put up a fight and then you'll want to stop.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

boy, don't I feel like an IDIOT!!!! thanks man... I get distracted easily... lol. K, I'll try again and post pics! Thanks again man!
Old 03-13-2008, 09:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

All I've been able to think since I read that was.... Ding fries are done, Ding fries are done! Thanks again man.... should go pretty freakin' easy from here on it. Any "gotchas" with the drillin' up into the tub?
Old 03-13-2008, 09:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Beta-pg
All I've been able to think since I read that was.... Ding fries are done, Ding fries are done! Thanks again man.... should go pretty freakin' easy from here on it. Any "gotchas" with the drillin' up into the tub?
If you don't move the wires inside the Jeep where the drill bit will be coming up through, you might drill into them. So expose that area first. I used a screw driver to prop up the wires while I drilled.

Make sure you have a drill bit that is as long as the bolts. Once installed the bolts only sick out the with of the nut, so your bit doesn't have to be longer than the bolt just as long as the bolt.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks Bro.... Appreciate your help! I also just got an email from Teraflex with the same information you gave me this morning! lol.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:51 PM
JK Newbie

Dante I saw you had the stock jeep steps before any idea on how much more the Tera rock guards weigh?
Old 03-13-2008, 07:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Not to bring back my "idiot" problems... but I just need to vent this out... I am having NOTHING but trouble with those GD little nut inserts... I have 2 that are completly screwed... and one that I can't back the bolt out of. Gonna head to bolt shop tomorrow to see if there is some larger ones 'cause now I have to drill out the front and rear ones.... I really hope these are worth the dang trouble....
Old 03-13-2008, 07:37 PM
JK Freak

I have a very reputable shop installing these tomorrow for me....i hope they do a good job

Quick Reply: Teraflex Rock Guards.....