Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

How I fixed P1404 EGR for FREE

Old 07-25-2014, 04:05 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How I fixed P1404 EGR for FREE

Removing the EGR wasn't near as bad as I thought after reading other posts about the job. I did it the same way as most: remove tire, inner fender, unbolt bolt for bracket on tranny fluid dipstick, pull it over towards driver's side with a bungy cord, remove the hidden bolt with a ratcheting boxed end wrench, and slide the red tab over before removing the plug.

After finding out that no one had the EGR valve in stock, and having one brought in for the am, I proceeded to **** with the old unit, with hopes to find a way to fix it. I am the type of person who could always work on anything but have never been professionally trained as a mechanic. So, I may not know all the correct terminology.

Here is what I found. Like has been said a million times, the unit has an electronic side and a metal side, and you don't want to soak down the metal side. On the electric plug side, there are 3 sets of tabs holding the plastic plug piece in the unit. Be careful, but bend all six of these back to allow removal of the piece being held in the unit by the tabs. This will come straight out...I remembered which way. Under that piece, there is a piston looking part that can be "pumped." (Back to this is in a minute)

Initially, I was just spraying carburetor cleaner into the two mounting holes...you cant miss them...they are the huge holes where the gasket and screws surrounded. During this, there was no passage way for the fluid to pass (I later kinda find out how this thing works), so I was just alternating with soaking them with fluid and blowing them out really well...and repeat. Some small, nasty chunks came out, but it was nothing major. (back to the post tab thing from above)

After lightly pushing on the piston thing, and it not moving, I pushed fairly hard. IT WENT DOWN. Then I looked back into the hole that you could see a shaft inside and noticed that it was moving with the piston. When I attempted to soak it with carb cleaner, I found that pushing the piston would allow a passageway between the 2 holes.

I JUST CLEANED IT UNTIL THE PISTON THING WOULD PRESS EASILY. IT CONTINUED TO HAVE A VERY LIGHT STICK AT TDC, BUT IT WAS MOVING MUCH FREER THAN BEFORE.

Then, I put it all together and the P1404 went away!!!!

I'll answer questions and let you know if it stay fixed.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great Job

Quick Reply: How I fixed P1404 EGR for FREE