Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What kind of grease fitting is this?

Old 02-28-2011, 09:14 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What kind of grease fitting is this?

So, perhaps I'm clueless, but...

I have no clue how to grease my new u-joints. I lubed them up real good before installing them, but I'd also like to top them off from their usual zerk fitting, however, I've never seen a fitting like this before.

This is not a picture of MY zerk, but it looks 100% just like what I'm looking at:

I went to a local farm & ranch store and picked up a "needle" adapter, although not the same type of needle adapter you'd use to inject grease into a closed CV joint or the like. Here is a picture of what I picked up:

The problem is, is that I seemingly cannot push hard enough on that little ball-bearing in the middle of the zerk with this "needle" adapter to force the grease to want to enter the zerk.

Any idea what this type of zerk fitting is called? Better yet, any idea what I need to great this with?
Old 03-01-2011, 04:02 AM
JK Newbie

Cool

Do you have clearence to swap it out with a regular zerk fitting? Or to swap it out with a new needle zerk fitting.
I hate needle type zerk fittings.

Old 03-01-2011, 04:05 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jwhitehorn
So, perhaps I'm clueless, but...

I have no clue how to grease my new u-joints. I lubed them up real good before installing them, but I'd also like to top them off from their usual zerk fitting, however, I've never seen a fitting like this before.

This is not a picture of MY zerk, but it looks 100% just like what I'm looking at:

I went to a local farm & ranch store and picked up a "needle" adapter, although not the same type of needle adapter you'd use to inject grease into a closed CV joint or the like. Here is a picture of what I picked up:

The problem is, is that I seemingly cannot push hard enough on that little ball-bearing in the middle of the zerk with this "needle" adapter to force the grease to want to enter the zerk.

Any idea what this type of zerk fitting is called? Better yet, any idea what I need to great this with?
the tool u posted is used to grease that fitting u posted.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:10 AM
JK Newbie

Yes. It looks like the one you posed screws into the end of the gun nozzle. The one I posted is an adaptor where you don't have to unscrew the end of the gun nozzle. It dosen't matter which one you use, but I think there are several different diameters available.
You should take the fitting out with a socket and try to depress the fitting on your work bench.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:25 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The needle sparten posted is smaller than other needle types, it works better to get in the zerk
Old 03-01-2011, 04:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought the same thing (reffering to first post 2nd pic) last weekend and I cannot get it to fit on my grease gun, there is no way to screw it on, am I doing something wrong?
Old 03-01-2011, 04:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Zerk fitting

I do not believe you can use a needle to get grease in that fitting. The needles are for punching a small hole in the boot of a CV joint to insert grease.
You need an adapter that has a small rubber ball the you press against the fitting to grease. I don't know where you can find one, haven't seen that kind of fitting in years.
Good Luck
Old 03-01-2011, 05:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Grase fitting

I believe this is the correct tip, found it in the Lincoln catalog that was just posted.

Model 83278*
Use to lubricate U-joints and spindles.
Attaches to hydraulic coupler of control
valve or grease gun. Includes rubber tip.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:49 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jlarso
You need an adapter that has a small rubber ball the you press against the fitting to grease. I don't know where you can find one, haven't seen that kind of fitting in years.
Good Luck
like this...

you can find it on amazon - part #LNI 83278
Old 03-01-2011, 06:03 AM
JK Newbie

Well I bought new...

And it came with...

From the website
speedwaymotors.com/Low-Profile-Grease-Zerks-and-Grease-Needle,43143.html"]http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Low-Profile-Grease-Zerks-and-Grease-Needle,43143.html

Last edited by wayoflife; 03-01-2011 at 08:26 AM.

Quick Reply: What kind of grease fitting is this?