Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

3.8L Engine Mods

Old 10-03-2006, 11:41 AM
Rob
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.8L Engine Mods

Hey Everyone, My first Post. Just ordered a 4 door jeep green Rubi with khaki interior, and all the bells & whistles. This is my 5th jeep (cant live with out them :-) had 3 CJ-7's and a YJ before.

Can someone help me out here. My jeep is getting the 4" right away and some 35's. What is with the engine though? Is jeep going to put a HEMI in it soon? I know i'll be kicking myselft if they put one out next year for not waiting.

So this puny torquless 3.8 also has another draw back, high compression. With that sort of a high compression will a supercharger or turbo(s) be out of the question? If it is not an option, then who will be making Mini-van engine mods for this jeep and what will they be?

I know i sound like i'm ranting a bit, but i am so in love with this new JK 4door! I just want to make sure that i will be able to make some muscle with it oneday.

Cheers!

Rob
Old 10-03-2006, 01:27 PM
JK Newbie

If you dislike the engine so much, why didn't you wait a year or so?

Anyway, rumor has it that Avenger is developing a supercharger for the JK. They make good stuff, so if you're that unpleased with the factory 3.8L, you can give that a shot.
Old 10-03-2006, 01:40 PM
Rob
JK Newbie

Its not that i dislike the engine so much, i guess i am a bit afraid of the change. The strait 6 has been around for so long and in 4 of my previous jeeps and i know what it is capable of. On the other hand, the 3.8L has only been used un minivans, never in an offroad application. Oh well, i guess i'll just have to wait and see.

And there was no way i could wait another year for my JK!
Old 10-03-2006, 01:48 PM
JK Newbie

I totally understand, the inline six is a quality engine.

Still, everything I read though says the 3.8L does well on the roads, and is just dandy for the trails. Wheel it, drive it, and see what you think. Then, if you still want a supercharger, you can get it at that point.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:05 AM
JK Newbie

3.8..uggh. According to a Jeep guy, Jeep can't put a V-8 in um because of legal paperwork. There is coversions for 5.7 and 6.1 Hemis. I know a guy who has the RIPP supercharger in an 08. Sounds cool, little bit quicker off the line, worse gas milage(goes back to quicker off the line I suspect) and got about 75 hp from it. The $$ invested at this point, he says should have gone w/ the HEMI.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey - I have a Jeep Green but it has the black/grey interior. I've always thought kacki would look awesome. Can you post some pics?
Old 08-02-2009, 08:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've been around the Straight 6 most of my life and frankly never cared for it much. Fuel injection was a big help though. That aside, yes the 3.8 lacks low end torque but in every other way is the better engine IMO. The torque is still there, just at higher RPM in 2HI. Once in 4L0 and I maybe even 4HI the computer programing changes and its not even an issue. 4lo and the brake almost fully depressed and it's still pulling.

As far as mods go, there are plenty to choose from, superchargers, CAI, chips, programers, etc.

If you have the money it sounds like the superchargers are getting the best result. Second choice would probably be a good programer but with that all the lesser mods simply add to improve the system as a whole, from exhaust to sparkplugs to synthetic oil.

Finally if money is little concern, do an engine swap for a Hemi. Plenty of those getting done as well.

Last edited by ibjeepr; 08-02-2009 at 08:33 AM.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:33 AM
JK Super Freak

lol At this point the OP has probably had his Jeep longer than anyone else who posted in this thread, check the date of his post.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SaharaBlackNo1
lol At this point the OP has probably had his Jeep longer than anyone else who posted in this thread, check the date of his post.

LOL didn't even catch that, ya he beats me by a year almost exactly.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:14 AM
JK Newbie

Ooops...I sit at work all day surfing this site as I am new to it and didn't catch the date..oh well...I am bored what can I say. Will shoot Winyah photos someday...

Quick Reply: 3.8L Engine Mods