Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2012 3.6 Performance Mods!

Old 10-19-2011, 12:08 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 3.6 Performance Mods!

Hello All,

Just wondering if anyone has found or are using any performance mods on their 2012's?
Hey I know the extra power on our stock 2012's is a huge improvement over the 3.8's but come on now who is really satisfied with "off the shelf stock power"? No matter what that amount is!
Any way I've been kinda looking around for some goodies for my 3.6 but am coming up short on what I can find right now. So if anyone is using or knows of some goodies for this HOT new mill, speak up please and share with us silly group of people that can't seem to leave anything alone.

Thanks, daubie3
Old 10-19-2011, 03:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Same here, I allways need more power.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hi,

I'm with you too! I believe that there is a good deal of power still locked within the 3.6.

If you look at Grand Cherokee and the Base Challenger, those 3.6's are pushing 305hp stock. For all intents and purposes those are the same motors just different calibrations for the PCM.

I think once the A/M cracks the PCM code, we may have a found 20hp just with a "91" style tune.

This motor is so damn exciting since there is so much which can be done with variable valve timing
Old 10-19-2011, 05:17 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by MrJones944
I think next week Ill take off the muffler and hack off the resonator and then install a magnaflow muffler with a before-axle dump. Im going to skip the CAI mod when they start coming out but ill be jumping on the flashpaq when those arrive. Beyond that....headers and or forced induction but those are things ill have to save up a bit for.
You mess with the exhaust on the 3.6 and your going to lose you're low end torque.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:35 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by MrJones944
As long as im not running a straight pipe with no restriction I dont think Ill lose any power. Im not going to mess with the goofy headers as ive talked with some engineers who said that actually added power. Im more interested in doing a
pseudo catback system for now but one that would maintain some back pressure. If I feel that I messed up the worst that can happen is I weld the old back into place.
Here's a cut and past from a forum member Exhaust mod gone bad.
Well to make a long story short I need a whole new exhaust system, so after a little research I found some OBD-II compliant high flow mini cats, which for my application looked like the way to go. And after a complete custom exhaust with two high flow cats and a flowmaster muffler running through 2 1/2" pipe .... I ended up with a jeep that sounded wicked.... deep throaty sound damn thing sounds tough...
Well now for the crappy part, I lost a ton of low-end torque, and yes it is so notable that people who know me and my jeep asked what happened at the last off-road session.
Now the question.. What now? Change the whole thing out and pay out the nose again? Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions to modify what I have to get me back to where I was? well throwing this out there just to see if I can some ideas?
Old 10-19-2011, 05:49 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Rhino64
You mess with the exhaust on the 3.6 and your going to lose you're low end torque.
False. That is driven purely by "hot end" backpressure. Will elaborate when i get off mobile...
Old 10-19-2011, 05:50 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Rhino64
Here's a cut and past from a forum member Exhaust mod gone bad.
Well to make a long story short I need a whole new exhaust system, so after a little research I found some OBD-II compliant high flow mini cats, which for my application looked like the way to go. And after a complete custom exhaust with two high flow cats and a flowmaster muffler running through 2 1/2" pipe .... I ended up with a jeep that sounded wicked.... deep throaty sound damn thing sounds tough...
Well now for the crappy part, I lost a ton of low-end torque, and yes it is so notable that people who know me and my jeep asked what happened at the last off-road session.
Now the question.. What now? Change the whole thing out and pay out the nose again? Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions to modify what I have to get me back to where I was? well throwing this out there just to see if I can some ideas?
This is because he is messing with the hot end...hold tight...ive addressed this multiple times so i will copy/paste when i get back to my tube.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:17 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know I do not have a 2012, but I will say this...

Switching to a muffler that is "too free flowing" will cause some low-end power loss, but it is not that drastic.
I had a MBRP muffler and the low end on that was fantastic! I switched over to a Cherry Bomb Extreme for the noise, and I immediately felt a loss of low end power, but the mid-range power definitely increased, along with the high end.

Here's my recommendation, go with MBRP for a low end power increase. I am not sure if they make anything for the 2012, but ask around on these forums.
Any muffler will work well but the power band shifts to various locations.
The person who messes with the factory cats with a non-aftermarket JK-specific header or catalytic converter will have serious power issues.

If you are really concerned about power loss, just remove the muffler and drive it for a day to see how it feels.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:32 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

We will start launching new exhaust systems for the 2012 JK model around the beginning of the year. We will be adding various systems for the 2012 through out next year.

And maybe some stuff for the 2007-11 as well.

And thanks Imposter for your exhaust insight.
If you don't know/aren't aware Imposter works on OE exhaust systems, for DynoMax's parent company, so his knowledge is AWESOME.
Thanks Imposter!
Old 10-19-2011, 06:45 AM
JK Newbie

I saw that AEV has their pro-cal working for the 2012's now so maybe power tunes are on the way...

Quick Reply: 2012 3.6 Performance Mods!